Day 22 and still nothing........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Apr 18, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    The last 4 eggs have still done nothing and it is day 22. Poor little "Uno" is the only little cochin all by himself in the brooder. He pipped and zipped so quickly on Day 20 I thought the rest would follow. all had movement when they went in the hatcher. My temps did drop a little (to 99 from 100.5) the last couple of nights. Now the humidity is dropping also, down to 63. I had to take him out and did so very quickly last night, have not opened the bator but that one time since they went in.
    Should I quickly add more water? How long should I wait before I give up completely?
    Poor Uno is so little he can't go in with the other chicks, I may need to findhim a day old buddy somewhere. He is certainly lively though and doing all the normal chick things, also very attached to me and hubby, he climbs in your hand when you put it in the brooder.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am sorry but that happens even to the best and most experienced hatchers. You can let them go to day 25 but after that the chances are pretty low they will hatch.

You can try candling them to see if there is any movement or if they pipped the air cell.

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I will try that, should I add a little water to up the humidity as well, just in case?

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I candled the last 4 and can't see any movement , none pipped the air cell. [​IMG]
    I went ahead and added a little more water to help humidity and and [​IMG] that the others are just really late.
    I will leave them in a couple more days and if nothing then I'll toss them.
    Now I am off in search of a suitable stuffed buddy for Uno.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by