Day 22-Are they Dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Henny Penny #1, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Henny Penny #1

Henny Penny #1 Out Of The Brooder

I made an incubator and when I candled the eggs on day 8 I saw life. It is now day 22 and nothing has hatched. Should I consider them dead?
    I guess I need to try again. I am so disappointed after waiting 3 weeks [​IMG]

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Our first hatch was a little late, too. Some say if the temp was a little low, it could result in a late hatch. Hang in there, and wait another day or two. [​IMG]

3. Henny Penny #1

Thanks, I won't give up on them just yet. Should I turn up the temperature?

4. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    when is the last time you candle them?
    I have had some hatch at day 24

5. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I read yesterday that someone's eggs hatched on day 26! Hang in there, don't give up yet. What is your temp? Do you have still air or forced air? Did you increase your humidity? There are a lot of factors involved, which may make them hatch after day 21!

6. Henny Penny #1

I have a little 12 volt computer fan moving the air around. I candled them again on day 14, but I found it was more difficult to tell what was going on. I definitely saw some movement though. I increased the humidity on day 18 and stopped turning them.

Should I candle them now? Would that kill them if they are going to hatch? Should I bump the temp. up a bit?

I will be patient and at least wait for day 26. thanks.

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If your temp was a little low it will delay hatching. Your temp if yours should be no lower than 99.5 and no higher than 101. Don't give up on them yet. Hang in there. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Henny Penny #1

I am going to hold out hope [​IMG]
    I am not the most patient person in the world. I will keep you all posted and hopefully it is good news eventually.

9. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I wouldn't take them out of the bator to candle them. Hang in there!

10. Henny Penny #1

2 have pipped!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by