1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22 Black copper maran eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Soonerguy33, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Soonerguy33

Soonerguy33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    None have started to hatch? Its hard to candle them since they are so dark..How long should i wait to toss them?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Dont toss them yet what is your temp and humidity at.

3. Soonerguy33

Soonerguy33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Temp is 100..Humidity 75..its lg with fan incubator

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have my temp at 100 but my humidity I always keep between 65 and 70. I was really hoping once I bumped this thread that someone with more experience would answer. This is my second hatch. Do you have condensation on veiwing windows? That could mean you have to much humidity. you could open vent to let some out.

5. brahmabird67

brahmabird67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    For the Black Coppers I use 45-55 for Humidity and mosthatch. With the 70-75 Humidity you are drowning your chicks. Don't believe they will hatch.

6. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I just finished incubating a mixed batch with BCMs and not one hatched though many of my other eggs did. I think the humidity might be too high based on what the seller told me. she keeps hers very low. Sorry. [​IMG] I was so heartbroken to lose them all...though some did not develop I opened one to find a fully formed dead chick inside and saw dark mass in several eggs but no movement.

Next time I will incubate them by themselves and try lower humidity.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh I am sorry about your hatch. If you decide to toss them I think you should open one and see what was going on. I have only hatched twice but I have opened some up to see if I could figure out what happened. I have found shrink wrapped OEG's , one chick completely upside down with his head at the wrong end, and one with his intestines on the outside. But maybe with a bit more time they will hatch. I hope so for you. I fought so hard to save my only pipped OEG.

Good luck, and do try again.

Mary

8. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    just wait a few days and see what happens after a week just toss them i usually dont worry about the humidity unless i notice a problem.
    good luck,
    mike

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

This is interesting. I was told to INCREASE the humidity with the black copper marans. now some say to decrease? I guess I don't understand. Maybe someone should start a thread asking opinions on the subject.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by