Day 22 but no sign of Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rocky332, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Any One Please help me , Its day 22 of my broody hen, i gave her 8 eggs 22 days ago but saw this morning as 23rd day started when she went out for feeding and water there is no sign of pepping and not any type of crack on all eggs, [​IMG] I am so worried about chicks and my girl any one please help me what i do now. This is my first experience of broody hen.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Give them 3 days past the 21 day mark, unless they smell bad or are weeping liquid.

I like to candle eggs under a broody once in awhile to check the progress. This is a good idea so that if they candle clear when they should be far along then you know there is no chick in there (see threads on candling progression).

Keep in mind that I have limited hatching experience.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had an entire batch of eggs under a broody hatch late. It happens sometimes. Mine started hatching late on day 22 and the last one arrived on day 25! Hopefully yours will start hatching soon!

4. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Thanks friends[​IMG] how many days maximum I hope

5. dirtbagchickens

dirtbagchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Apple Valley, CA
    cool, this is reasuring. I have 9 eggs that candled well on day 16. 3 hatched on the 21st. Now anxiuosly waiting activity with the others. I am concerned with these because when I wieghed them on the 16th day they had lost the most amount of water, between 18 an 25%. but that was done based on a starting wieght I got from averaging a dozen of other eggs. so it could deffinately be off.

Question: Can I take out the hatched chicks appropriately, and leave the others in a duration. I think the peeping noise will really help the others but dont want to leave the new chics in past 48 hrs. I read that new chics could stay in for up to 36hrs, true? likely based on breed and apparent health, etc.

thanks ya'll

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can take the hatched chicks out once they're dry and fluffed up. But be quick so you don't lose too much humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by