Day 22 do they need help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kakhan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. kakhan

kakhan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Pakistan
    I have white bantam cochin eggs.Due date was yesterday 17.Only 3 are out.3 eggs are in the bator.I piped it and could hear the chick.Do they need help.Should i remove the harder shell to make it easy for the chick.Tried to search the threads but could not.Am worried as time is passing by.Help me the threads and with this problem.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Did the chicks pip internally? I.e. through the membrane into the air sac? They can take up to 24 hours or more to hatch completely from this point (internal pip). Reason for this is the chick pips into the air sac so it can breathe and get used to breathing air. While it's doing that it will slowly absorb the yolk sac and the blood in the membrane. When they feel ready to come out they'll start breaking off bits of the shell, slowly working their way round the egg, "zipping" in open so they can get out. They will be taking breaks in-between. It's quite a process the little ones have to go through and every step is important for them. So don't rush to help as a bit of well meant interference can end up killing them... Sit down and read through this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

It explains the hatching process, how and WHEN to help etc. If you need help or has questions, ask here. I'll check in later. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  3. kakhan

Jul 11, 2012
    Pakistan
    Thank you sumi for the answer.Yes the 3 out have pipped.I egg i pipped and found the chick moving.I will wait.Thanks once again.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    You guys are so nice your patience and willingness to continually help us newbies is so awesome I know it's time consuming and sometimes repetitive but so kind!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. kakhan

Jul 11, 2012
    Pakistan
    Thank you all of you.Today on 23 hatched another one.One was damaged yesterday,before reading the thread.I removed the shell and the chick later died.Left the other egg,i only removed the outer upper layer and today in the morning,the membrane was dried and yolk consumed so i got the chick out.Its with the others.
    To add,outside temperature these days is around 5 *Celcius.In June last year when outside temp was between 35 and 40,the chicks hatched 2 days before so thats why i was worried.
    Thanks once again.I am using small 50 eggs manual bator and turned the eggs twice daily.
    Thanks once again for the help.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We enjoy helping [​IMG] The members here taught me loads and now I'm giving something back [​IMG]

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry to hear about the lost one, but next time you'll be ready and prepared and you'll know what to do. I'm glad the other little one hatched out o.k!
    Temperature does have a huge influence on hatches. If you are a degree or 2 too hot they hatch early and a degree or 2 too low they hatch late. Neither is ideal, but late hatches are better than early as the heat can cause problems when the chicks develop. I noticed you said you turn twice a day. The minimum recommended number of daily turns is 3 and 5 is better. Broody hens turn their eggs more than 50 times a day, so more is definitely better when it comes to turning. Here's an interesting article on incubation factors if you want to read more:

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_environment.html

You'll see the article says to turn the eggs 4-6 times a day, but we prefer an uneven number, so at night when we're not turning the eggs, they spent alternate nights lying on a different side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by