Day 22 - duck eggs and humidity mistake

Mango613

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2016
First time incubating. I am approaching the end and am freaking out that my air sacks are not big enough. I am terrified that I have screwed it up and I will cause the poor little guys to drown before the make it out. I am using a force air incubator and my temp is 100. I have held my humidity about 60-65% based on the recommendation of the farmer where I got the eggs. Based on everything I have read it is too high. My egg sacks are closer to day 17-18 and 2 of my eggs have clear areas at the pointy bottom though all 4 eggs have lots of movement. I dropped the humidity to 45% yesterday but since it has been high and I am about to send it back up to 65% for lockdown where should it be for my final few days before lockdown??

TIA! I am losing sleep, phew! Can't wait for these little guys to be out :)

First time incubating. I am approaching the end and am freaking out that my air sacks are not big enough. I am terrified that I have screwed it up and I will cause the poor little guys to drown before the make it out. I am using a force air incubator and my temp is 100. I have held my humidity about 60-65% based on the recommendation of the farmer where I got the eggs. Based on everything I have read it is too high. My egg sacks are closer to day 17-18 and 2 of my eggs have clear areas at the pointy bottom though all 4 eggs have lots of movement. I dropped the humidity to 45% yesterday but since it has been high and I am about to send it back up to 65% for lockdown where should it be for my final few days before lockdown??

TIA! I am losing sleep, phew! Can't wait for these little guys to be out :)
Personally I would run completely dry and check them every night to see how they are progressing. If by day 25 they aren't where they should be, unless you have external pips, you can push your lockdown back and wait until there is an internal pip or an external pip. And then get the humidity raised for the hatch.

Also, if the air cells are still small by day 25, I would highly suggest hatching upright in cut down cartons. This will help to keep excess moisture down in the egg and prevent it from running into the internal pip and give them a little better chance of overcoming any excess fluid in the egg.

BTW:
welcome-byc.gif

OK so dry I am going to be down as low as 25-30%. Is that ok?

Can I post pics of my candling so you can let me know if I am freaking out for nothing?

Thank you for the welcome!

OK so dry I am going to be down as low as 25-30%. Is that ok?

Can I post pics of my candling so you can let me know if I am freaking out for nothing?

Thank you for the welcome!
Yeah, That's what I run normally with humidity up to lockdown. Sure, you can put pics up. My strength with air cells is more chicken, but I can certainly look and if I don't feel confident in advise I can tag a couple regular duck hatchers to help.

Day 22 - pekin duck eggs. The pencil mark is day 18 line. They are better and I am less concerned than I was yesterday as there was no chance from 18-21.

open

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Nv-jd3ObUZMnA2d0h1NV9MdHc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BNv-jd3ObUZMVE5VXVXSXJSYzg[/IMG]
I could only get one link to open, but the one I could see wasn't awful. I think you if run dry till day 25 you'll be fine locking down on time. If you have any reservations then, just hatch upright. That's my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom