1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22...How much longer should I wait???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison77, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I had 2 Americuannas hatch out the day before Thanksgiving (they were due on Thanksgiving so they were 1 day early) and I have 4 eggs left. How much time should I give them. Also wanted to mention that they are being sat on by my japanesse bantam.

So when do I just toss them out and give up on them? Should I candle again and scope them out?

Here are the babies that hatched on the 26th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(see the baby under mom's wing?)

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If they don't smell I would wait a couple more day and see what happens. If they don't hatch within two more day, I would break a hole in the air sack and see what is going on and if they are dead or not.
    Becky

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Did you give her the eggs all at one time ? Could the ones that havent hatch been later than the others ?? Is it cold where you are ?? I would give it a few more days and then candle !!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Doesn't momma know if the eggs are bad? Won't she get up if the rest of the eggs are no good? Or kick them out of the nest. Thats what I have been reading. Maybe she knows something you don't. [​IMG] Lets hope so.

5. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hi there and thanks you guys. I took some advice from another member and gave the eggs to another broody hen. She sat on them within a minute of me moving them to the new nest! [​IMG] I will keep a close eye on them and candle tonight and see! What at this point am I looking for? I am freaked out by putting a hole in them, but if this is what we should do I will have dh do it! [​IMG]

Mama still was sitting on the eggs so at this point I am unsure if they are good or not. And yes, I gave them to her all at the same time. I know I am in Florida, but we have had several freezing nights so maybe that has contributed to their maybe lateness.

6. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:You have freezing nights in Florida? [​IMG] I would love to be there.

7. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    haha.............are you picking on us Ginbart? I know my cold temps are like a joke compaired to yours [​IMG]

8. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I live 20 miles west of Ocala, Florida and we've had quite a few nights in the upper 20's and and lower 30's.

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    You live just north of me, I am down by Leesburg Fl and lowest go to here where I live so far at night about 37.. I use to live in Minnesota for some 30 years and now here this is my 3rd winter in Florida and now I got pi** for blood..

Quote:

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Well I guess so. LOL I would love to be down there instead of here where it's snowing and the temp is 29. [​IMG] The ground is starting to get covered. But it's pretty. Oh to have the nice warm sun on my face and see the blue ocean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by