1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 22...nervous (1st hatch)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have 2 wyandotte eggs that are now (drum roll) at day 22 (to the hour). They re in still air incubator, temp has remained fine the whole time (till today--see below). i've kept the water reservoires full. I candled them quickly today without rotating their position and saw movement in both (a flicker) nd haave seen both eggs shake a bit on their own. Since it's day 22, do I just leave them and hope it's a late hatch??

We're have great success with embryos growing, but our 1st 2 eggs due to hatch both died..one early on and one 4 days before hatch. They were frizzle rooster/barred rock hen mixes.

Today's crisis was a power outage. I panicked, and folded abeach towel and set it over the eggs in the 'bator and rushed them to the truck to make a 45 min drive to my mom's house. I reaalized the bumpy carride was not a wise idea, so turned home and within 15 minutes filled 3 ziplock bags with hot tap water and got them snuggled...then the power came right back on. So, all eggs were at about 80 degrees for maybe 20-25 min. (we have other breeds of chickens cooking)

Thank you all so much for your advice...I'm a nervous wreck.

2. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Well, wouldn't you know it...within 30 seconds of posting this I heard a "peep!" Tiny & muffled. After reading another similar thread here, I candled and can see what I suspect is a beak in an air sac. And LOTS of chick movement! I candled the other egg, and while there's no peeping and no beak so to speak, also a ton of movement & I think I heard a peck?

3. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Awesome! Keep us posted!

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Keep that incubator closed, they need the humidity and heat constant....This is your mentor....Please back away from that incubator....I know it's hard,,,I've been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But remember we have to wait and please no more candling...Best wishes and happy hatching!!!! Nancy

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have it all closed up. :) No more candling, I promise.

And I leave the peeps inside till they are dry & active, right? Then the brooding box...

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] It's so hard not to!

7. telfer55

telfer55 New Egg

Oct 24, 2011
    Lol. There should be an automatic hand smacker built onto the outside of the incubator for shut down. I know I needed one ! Leave them in until they are all lovely and fluffy.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Or like a "shocker" so when I try to open it I get a big zap.

(I'd get zapped A LOT.)

9. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on day 22 as well, not a pip or a peep. I want to candle (hand slap) . I do see one rocking, maybe tomorrow

10. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So we went awhile with no more peeping. I just told my husband one was peeping, and we listened and it must hve known we were there ha ha..."peep peep peep peep!" My husband is trying to convince me that it's going to run out of air, but isn't the egg permeable so the air sac will refill? I know he's going to suggest I make it an airhole (no worries, I will not). He's worried the shell is too strong for it to break thru. It's normal, right, for hours to go by between first peep and pip? I broke open "sister eggs" that never grew and none of their shells were particularily tough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by