1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22, no peeps no pips no wiggles, what now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by otis7, Jan 17, 2014.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Basically what the above says. What should I do? Wait? Float test? Manually pip the egg? I have a still air incubator, temps were kept around 100.

2. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Also I only have two eggs, so I'm not too worried about opening the incubator since I highly doubt I'd miss a pip. The chicks were moving as of day 18 candling. I candled this morning, didn't appear to be any internal pips, no movement in the egg.

3. Arizona Son

Arizona Son Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Avra Valley, Arizona
    I'd pick up the eggs and hold them to your ear, see if you hear any peeping or sound from inside. Try lightly tapping on the egg with your fingernail, sometimes that'll reinvigorate the chick inside to make another attempt at pipping. I've had eggs take 23 days and hatched normally. I cant really explain this, but it has happened.

4. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Any advice?

5. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Thank you, I'll try

6. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    How long is it safe to have them out of the incubator at this stage?

7. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Just tried, didn't hear anything on one. Thought I heard something on the other, but it could have been a chikadee outside. I'm pretty sure it was the chickadee...

8. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Did a float test. The egg I thought I heard something on sunk to the bottom, air cell up. The other egg floated air cell up, potentionally maybe rocked but I didn't want to leave them in the water very long, so I didn't really let things settle.

9. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

This method I use is to take the egg and tap on the egg with your fingernail. In the wild hens do this to tell the babies it's time to come out. Put the egg up by your ear and tap gently.

10. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

This method always works. Hens will gently peck at them. When you tap the babies start chirping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by