Day 22 -no pip/no wiggle -left all alone

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
This egg is special ! As it is possibly from our favorite hen that passed or our other incredible hen. 4 eggs were set july 24 in my brinsea mini eco. I hand turned.

day 20 (Friday the 13th) one hatched! Day 21 (2 hatched ) into the very early hrs. Day 22, I just check the egg. No pip, no wiggle. A slight pulsing on one side of the membrane and a tiny meat spot was visible inside the egg. Air sac is very big, a little slanted (saddled).

Day 20 this egg was wiggling a lot! And I thought it might hatch early too. Day 21 very low to almost no wiggle and today no wiggle.

I’m just so concerned because this egg holds a lot of heart for us.

This egg is special ! As it is possibly from our favorite hen that passed or our other incredible hen. 4 eggs were set july 24 in my brinsea mini eco. I hand turned.

day 20 (Friday the 13th) one hatched! Day 21 (2 hatched ) into the very early hrs. Day 22, I just check the egg. No pip, no wiggle. A slight pulsing on one side of the membrane and a tiny meat spot was visible inside the egg. Air sac is very big, a little slanted (saddled).

Day 20 this egg was wiggling a lot! And I thought it might hatch early too. Day 21 very low to almost no wiggle and today no wiggle.

I’m just so concerned because this egg holds a lot of heart for us.
I'm sorry you have to be so concerned about this special egg from your beloved favorite hen :hugs
Are there any changes in the meanwhile? A progress like an external pip or even more?
I only hatched chicken eggs one time, so I'm not very experienced. But I read about the possibility of doing a safety hole so the chick can breathe, which is importand if it is for example malpositioned. I'm not sure if this is reasonable in the case of you egg - but if there is no progress at all perhaps it would be a possibility to help the egg:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
And here is a helpful thread regarding safety holes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-ok-to-make-safety-holes-anyway.1480137/#post-24665919

As I understand the chick needs to have pipped internally, so you would need to candle the egg.

Best wishes for your precious egg - fingers crossed the baby hatched already or will hatch :fl🙏

Thank you for the kind words. The egg/chick passed. I checked last night. I am going to break the egg today and see what may have gone wrong. The meat spot really blackened, which maybe was a factored. I didn’t feel the need to make a hole, because it never piped internal. Curious to see the color. We had two chocolates and a phantom and I can’t figure out if they are “Marshall’s” or her sister “Sofi’s” chicks. Both are such amazing birds, but Marshall passed so suddenly and was our favorite top hen of 7 years. Now hopefully one of the chicks is a pullet 😂

Thank you for the kind words. The egg/chick passed. I checked last night. I am going to break the egg today and see what may have gone wrong. The meat spot really blackened, which maybe was a factored. I didn’t feel the need to make a hole, because it never piped internal. Curious to see the color. We had two chocolates and a phantom and I can’t figure out if they are “Marshall’s” or her sister “Sofi’s” chicks. Both are such amazing birds, but Marshall passed so suddenly and was our favorite top hen of 7 years. Now hopefully one of the chicks is a pullet 😂
Oh no, I'm so sorry 😞
Yeah, you couldn't have done anything to save it when it never pipped internally.
I did have a similar case, too. When I opened the egg (I kept it in the incubator until day 26...I just could not give up on it 😖), the little one was fully developed but never pipped internal, I think it died around day 19 or 20. I could never see a wiggle (but with none of all my eggs). I wonder till today what happened, why this baby didn't hatch after beeing so close. My little number 13 was a partridge baby.
Best wishes for your babies that hatched ❤️
Hopefully there are some pullets 🎀
I'm so sorry you lost your dear Marshall.

Please update when you opened the egg about what you could find out.

Photo below of the chick (a little graphic )

We looked into the egg. It did pip, but in a terrible spot on the side and bled in that area. Still had a decent amount of unabsorb yolk. It was mildly cross billed and it seemed to be missing its baby tooth. But had a weird development knob under the nostril.

It just wasn’t meant to be. I’m glad I didn’t assist , because It just likely wouldn’t have made it. It’s definitely hard not to help

C60DD44B-E87F-41EF-AA9D-979A0D824146.jpeg

Photo below of the chick (a little graphic )

We looked into the egg. It did pip, but in a terrible spot on the side and bled in that area. Still had a decent amount of unabsorb yolk. It was mildly cross billed and it seemed to be missing its baby tooth. But had a weird development knob under the nostril.

It just wasn’t meant to be. I’m glad I didn’t assist , because It just likely wouldn’t have made it. It’s definitely hard not to help

View attachment 2800807
Poor little one, so sad. Without a baby tooth it had no chance to break through the shell. Yes that's still a decent amount of unabsorbed yolk - this makes me think the baby bled to death because you wrote there was an amount of blood, or didn't get enough oxygen, perhaps because of the blood or perhaps because of the unfortunate spot of the internal pip. I think looking a bit 'shifted' could be because of still being in the egg or having tried to turn and gotten stuck in some kind.
I'm so sorry :hugs
That sweet little soul. Yes it just wasn't meant to be. Some just have a too difficult start into life.

I hope your hatched babies are all fine :love

The three musketeers are doing great! They remind me of chocolate truffles 😂 We still can’t figure out which of the two hens they are from. I may try hatching more of Sofi’s next year to see. One of the rust reds is bearded too. They are half polish , either buff ?? Or definitely silver laced with a red rooster. I will admit the phantom color one has the silver laced chick coloring . But we kind of hope that one to be Marshall’s the buff polish who passed. 🌼
089CD79F-55CA-491C-A783-EA7ED87D446F.jpeg
89F092A2-8AA6-4F09-91D4-996A82A63E18.jpeg

😍 Omg they are gorgeous 🥰 Congrats!
What beautiful babies!
Chocolate truffles is great 😂
Sweet three little musketeers - I hope there is a baby from your precious Marshall among them 🤞

Thank you ! they have officially trained to control the humans in the house. They chirp so loud and everytime one of us shows up , they instantly stop 😊. They just want to be around us or climb onto our legs. They seem imprinted compared to the last batch of mail order chicks. I only had one imprinted from that batch and she is very needy too. This will be a great way to start the school year!:lau

Thank you ! they have officially trained to control the humans in the house. They chirp so loud and everytime one of us shows up , they instantly stop 😊. They just want to be around us or climb onto our legs. They seem imprinted compared to the last batch of mail order chicks. I only had one imprinted from that batch and she is very needy too. This will be a great way to start the school year!:lau
😄 🥰

Back
Top Bottom