Day 22 - no pips. Water candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpinningJenny, Apr 27, 2016.

1. SpinningJenny

SpinningJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    So 5 of my 7 viable eggs hatched, but there's 2 in there that haven't done much. They were moving and rocking yesterday, and today, nothing...

Should I candle them with the water method? I'd hate for them to die in the shells. One is a bantam I was really looking forward to. What can I do?

2. Hmmm... I've never water candled before, they can easily drown if they are in their too long because their shells are poris. I would be worried too, but they can hatch up to day 25.

3. Have you candled them to make sure their development is where it should be?

4. SpinningJenny

Apr 6, 2016
    Yes, they were rocking last night. The little one is moving still very little, bit I think the other might be dead. I can't see any movement with a light, and the air cell is getting really big so I'm worried it got stuck in there ace suffocated.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. Uh oh!!!

6. What's your humidity at?

7. SpinningJenny

Apr 6, 2016
    Between 65-70 for hatching yesterday. I'm so bummed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  8. Are they still rocking or are they still?

9. If they are still rocking you can try to help them hatch. But also they an go till day 25. If they re rocking leave them till 25, if not you can try to help them hatch.

10. SpinningJenny

Apr 6, 2016

One is moving slightly, one is still :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by