Day 22 no pips

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rockinD, Jan 30, 2017.

1. rockinD

rockinD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    It's day 22 and the chicken eggs were all viable at lockdown. I see the eggs moving but no external pips yet. What's the latest you've had a hatch start? Any words of wisdom you'd like to share?

Thanks!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I personally almost always hit on day 21, a very few overnight to day 22, but I have friends who have gone to day 24 and I've heard on here day 25 especially in winter when the weather is colder and if the incubator is running a bit on the cooler side.
    Have you hatched before with that incubator? How many days did it take? What season was it? Good luck.

3. rockinD

Jun 19, 2012
    Yes, Ive used it once before. It's a Brinsea mini...pretty reliable. Ive always had hatches start on day 21 as well (I haven't done this much though and only once before in this bator). I'm thinking maybe it's running a bit cooler causing a delay.

4. rockinD

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm happy to report that all 7 pipped today on day 23. One has pipped the wrong end so I don't know how that will go but the others are looking good right now.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Glad they pipped finally! It does sound like the temp is low so you'll probably want to get another thermometer to calibrate your incubator with before you do another hatch.

The wrong end pipper might be fine, a lot of times they can hatch on their own. Just keep an eye on it and if it gets less active and seems to be struggling or if the others hatch and that one hasn't yet made it out you may need to step in and give it a hand getting out.

6. rockinD

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks! That's where we are now. The last of them hatched this morning except the wrong end chick. She's still hanging in there but she wasn't ready for help earlier so I'm watching closely.

I'm really happy to have 6 of 7 right now. I'd incubated shipped eggs in the past with low results. These are the first from my own flock. Still rooting for the last one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Keep us updated!

8. rockinD

Jun 19, 2012
    Later last night I helped the wrong end chick out. She seems a bit weak and she's a little gimpy on one leg but she's gaining strength and catching up to the others as the day goes on. She's interested in eating and doesn't hesitate to limp over to the food so I think this will work itself out.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Perfect! I'm glad she made it out okay with your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by