Day 22 ~ No Pips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6DollinsFarm, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 6DollinsFarm

6DollinsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    I have some shaking from some of my eggs but no pips at Day 22. I have the Little Giant bator without a fan or a way to test humidity. When should I start to worry? [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If the eggs are shaking the chicks are busy in there trying to hatch. The hatching process from internal pip to pipping through the shell can take 6 hours or more, so sit on your hands and don't worry. If they haven't pipped externally 10-12 hours after the internal pip they may need a little help, but give them time.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. 6DollinsFarm

Jul 6, 2012

We have not seen any movement and haven't heard any chirping so I thought all of them were dead. I pipped one of the eggs. No internal pip. We saw movement and the membrane is wrinkled and looked dry to me, I don't know what is a normal membrane? I saw a small blood spot so I stopped and put him back in the bator. So now I am confused on what I should do with this one and the remaining eggs? Should I float test the rest and candle? Should I pip the other ones?

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching follow the steps in this guide..... if no external or internal pips but you see movement put back in the bator and wait and candle again in the evening.... read the guide carefully. I do not suggest assisting a chick that is not chirping, has not internally pipped, unless you are a little bit experienced. All info is in that article.

I have a feeling temps have been off, have you calibrated thermometers? For your next hatch I would def read the hatching 101 article and try to understand how important temps are, as well as weighing and or watching air cells carefully. The article explains how and why you should do certain things to have a good hatch. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    there is a section at the bottom, "what went wrong"

6. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope your chicks are okay! [​IMG]

7. 6DollinsFarm

Jul 6, 2012
    Thank you! These articles are great.

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania