Day 22, No Sound or Movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teisenhand, Oct 13, 2012.

1. teisenhand

teisenhand Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Its day 22 today and there hasn't been any chirping or moving in the eggs. There isn't any pips in any of the eggs. Are they still alive?

2. chanel75

chanel75 New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    hi, im in the same situation
    fingers crossed we both get a good outcome, im going to leave mine for a couple more days and hope for the best.
    good luck [​IMG]

3. teisenhand

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado
    I couldn't take it anymore, I know some people strongly disagree about doing this, but I took the eggs out of the incubator and candled them, I found that a few of them werent as far along as the others, and I confirmed that by doing the float test. I did notice that there was a pip in the shell of one of them but it was on the wrong side, I turned that one so the pip was facing up and put it back in the incubator. Hopefully she will hatch [​IMG]

4. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Don't give up hope, if tempatures were a bit low, they may hatch late. I once had a bad thermometer so the incubator ran lower than it should have and the chicks didn't hatch until days 25 and 26. And as long as they're aren't any pips, you can open the incubator and candle.

By wrong side, do you mean it didn't hit the air sac? Or do you mean it just pipped going towards the floor of the incubator? Some chicks pip from the bottom up, and you actually could have disorientated the chick by moving the egg so that the pip faced upwards. If you mean it didn't hit the air sac, then the chick is hatching upside down. There are a few more risks to that, but usually they can still hatch on their own just fine.

Good Luck to the both of you! [​IMG]

5. teisenhand

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado
    It was on the pointy end of the egg instead of the side with the air sac, there hasn't been any movement... Hopefully she is just sleeping haha I have 3 more eggs on day 14 today, so I'm hoping those ones hatch otherwise that will be 3 unsuccessful hatches in a row...

6. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    3 unsuccessful hatches in a row... any pics or a description of what you're using to incubate in, maybe someone could help.

7. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Yeah, 3 in a row, there has to be a problem. What are you incubating in? Is it forced air or still air? What was your average tempature? How much did the tempature flucuate? What was your humidity for the first 18 days? What was your humidity for the last 3? When they didn't hatch, did you open them up to see what was wrong, if so decribe what you saw. If you didn't open them up, did you at least candle? If so describe what you saw. Thats all the questions that I can think of for now. Hopefully we can find the problem. It must be real sad to lose them all every time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by