Day 22 nothing, hatched one out at 21, are they dead??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wyogirl, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    One Silkie has hatched at day 21 , the other 2 eggs haven't pipped on day 22, do I leave them alone or are they duds??
    Ayda

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Leave them alone! Some eggs just seem to take forever. Don't mess with them!

Hope the others hatch for you! [​IMG]

3. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    thats what mine are doing just leave them alone and have them in lockdown than a couple of days later candle them to see whats going on

4. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thanks for the info, took my little one out and is in the brooder, doing great. Now the waiting game-my temp never went down and my humidity is still around 65-75, will candle on Tues if nothing happens:( This is my first time incubating and my incubator is a homemade one, holds temps and humidity great!
    Ayda

5. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    We should start a support group! LOL
    I just posted almost the same thing earlier this morning.
    I was about to give up (I'm on day 24!!) and I broke open one egg to see what went wrong. There was a live chick in there, at least until then, when it died.
    I just got back home, checked on the eggs, and I can hear chirping and pipping.
    Woo hoo!
    So ya, totally need to be patient. Funny how its not in any of the hatching 101 pages that it may take up to 25 days- or more.
    I've had a roller coaster emotional day.

6. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Yes!! I have not left the house and usually we head into town , Cody WY, for the festivities, it's the biggest holiday here, but not this year I can't seem to leave my little one born yesterday and my 2 eggs that are going to hatch:confused:???????????????
    Ayda

7. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Any news on yours?
    Mine is finally out this morning. I barely slept. I got worried because last night an egg exploded in the 'bator. The new chick is in a pyrex bowl with paper towels, because I don't want it to touch any of the contaminated stuff in there. I could only clean so much because there are still other eggs waiting to hatch. (What is taking so long?!)
    But yes, I am torn between staying at home and enjoying the holiday out. I wonder if I can take the chick with me....

8. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    NO, am staying home LOL! It's our anniversary and I really don't feel like hanging out with 30, 000 other people. Our Cody parade/4th of Jluy Rodeo attracts massive amount of people, our pop is ~7000 and it quadruples+ on this day!
    Did quickly candle last night (couldn't help it) and the air sacs are visible one looks like it should hatch the other ???
    Will Keep you posted, and thanks for the update. Is the one OK??
    Aydaa

9. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Similar thing going on here

Yesterday Day 19, a silky egg hatched, after she puffed up she went into the brooder
    Today Day 20, nothing from the other eggs (3 more left)

Going to watch your thread!

10. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow...lots of folks on pins and needles.
    I have 8 at day 20, and there is nothing going on--I am just tring to stop myself from looking every 10 mins since mama and eggs are in the big coop and no one will lay if I am out there all day.

Muskoka-- I am glad you've got one after your roller coaster. I'm keeping fingers crossed the rest will follow soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by