Day 22 nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heyeddah, Apr 21, 2009.

1. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Day 22 and nothing with a broody silkie and four eggs. When candled, there were signs of life on day 16. How long do I let her go, and what do I do with her after I take the duds? How do I get her back out and off that nest box. This is her second round. Her single egg was dead at day 21 and then we slipped four black Austrolorp eggs under her for another three weeks. I think three 3 week sessions is too long. I read about putting them in wire cages to break broodiness, but I believe in nature taking its course. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated especially by my anxious teenagers! They can be more impatient than moms sometimes.
    Thanks

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I wouldn't give up yet. There is a chance they still may hatch. Have you seen any pips? I have taken a silkie off the nest before and took the eggs and didn't have any problems. Hopefully they will hatch but if they don't maybe you will be able to break her broodiness easily.

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Get a few chicks from another source, like TSC, or an individual, and slip them under her at night. Then she will have some babies to raise and hopefully will quit sitting. That being said, I would still give the current eggs at least 3 more days before deciding they are duds.

4. heyeddah

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Nope no pips. We looked this AM when she went out for water and food. I thought she was done, but she went back in. It is cold here the past two days. Would that slow hatch time? We set them under her on Monday March 30th. So is that day one, or Tues is day one?

5. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:Day 1 would be "after" 24 hours, so the same time that Tuesday would be the completion of day one! Usually, the eggs placed in early am to incubate some will consider day 1 but if placed later in day count the next day as day 1.... Either way, the day after placing the eggs can be considered generally day 1 to day 1-1/2. Hope I made sense!

6. heyeddah

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I think that made sense.
    Sounds like we wait some more and all hope is not lost yet!
    Thanks for the schooling.

7. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Anything change?

8. heyeddah

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Nothing tonight. One is decidedly cold, the others she is keeping warm. No pips, nothing. Not very hopeful here in Milford. I really wanted silkie babies. Now how long until she starts to lay again?

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    It shouldn't take her long to start again. Silkies are determined little chickens. Good luck next time. [​IMG]

10. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to stay positive! [​IMG] Yesterday morning, I left the house to nothing going on in my incubator, and came home to one baby. I woke up this morning to a second a baby, and another egg is pipping. We're on day 23 here too. [​IMG] It still can happen!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by