Day 22 of bantam incubation.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkylaHart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. SkylaHart

SkylaHart In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2018
    So, our 3 remaining eggs from a peking bantam have made it to day 22 in our incubator. Upon advice from a farmer friend, we tried the water test where we placed the eggs gently in warm/tepid water to see how they went. They were jerking and bopping quite noticeably, but candling and listening showed no signs of internal pipping.
    I know eggs can go a few days over the guesstimate of 21 days, but I was under the impression that bantams would be earlier? If there’s no chirping or internal pipping, but movement in the water, have we still got hope? Even after 22 days?
    Thank you in advance :)
    Just to add we’ve not witnessed any movements whilst in the incubator, only when they were placed in water.

2. C3 mommy

C3 mommy Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Sw ohio
    Sometimes it takes longer if you run a lower temperature, I'd say there's hope as long as there's movement! :D good luck!!!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  3. SkylaHart

SkylaHart In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2018
    Thank you! I work on a farm who use natural hen hatching and larger incubators and they’ve had everything from 100%-0% hatch rates using both. They lent us a small cheap-ish incubator just so our kids could experience it, but we didn’t realise how nerve wracking it could be :D:D

4. C3 mommy

C3 mommy Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Sw ohio
    Oh ok! Yea that's why I started, my first batch is hatching now! And my kids are very excited!! And I know!! But they are so cute once they hatch!! Hope you find out soon!!! I've already got my next batch to incubate on the counter!! :D

Rose Quartz and SkylaHart like this.
  5. SkylaHart

SkylaHart In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2018
    Me too! We really only wanted a couple of hens, but can imagine if any hatch then they will be cockerels :D
    If they don’t work out this time, we may wait until next year to try again as don’t want it being too late in the year

6. C3 mommy

C3 mommy Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Sw ohio
    Yea that's how my luck is hahah yea I don't blame you!!

SkylaHart likes this.
  7. SkylaHart

SkylaHart In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2018
    Look what we found this morning! Fingers crossed it makes it out ok :)

Attached Files:

Rose Quartz, PouleChick and C3 mommy like this.
  8. C3 mommy

C3 mommy Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Sw ohio
    :love:wee any progress yet? I've got 8 in the brooder, and 4 drying in the incubator!! :celebrate

Rose Quartz and SkylaHart like this.
  9. SkylaHart

SkylaHart In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2018
    It’s slow progress but I can see it breathing through the hole. No sign of the others as yet, but I shined a torch through the incubator and am sure I saw a dark triangle type shadow in each of the air sacks. Yay!!!

Attached Files:

10. C3 mommy

C3 mommy Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Sw ohio
    So exciting!!!! :celebrate can't wait to see them!! :love hopefully you get more pips and zips tonight!!! :ya

SkylaHart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: