1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22 on my eggs. What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TerryQui, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Two hatched yesterday. Today my incubator smelled.
    Ok, I found my smell. Tonight I did a sniff test of all eggs and I floated some too. All appear to be fully formed babies so far. All smell good. BUTTTTT one egg was stuck to another and some shell came off it onto the other egg. Either it pipped like that and stuck or. well I don't have a clue how it got stuck, lol.
    BUTTTT egg yoke is in the bottom of the incubator so this means that it broke open and leaked some yoke and that is rotting.
    What to do??? I left it all for tonight. I moved the incubator into another room, away from my parrots, so the smell can't make them sick. The one with the hole, I put into a little dish. I moistened the open area a bit, but I did not think the baby was trying to get out. It was really yoke---eeee in there.
    I set these on the night of the 21'st. So today is day 22 sort of.
    Either all those babies in there are alive and there is 20 more, not counting the opened egg, OR they all died for some reason right at the end.
    I don't know if I am doing all this right. I have socks in the bottom that I pour water on to keep the incubator in humidity. I had put dishes of water in there and they did nothing. The thermometer says it is 80 percent.
    If I put water in the whole bottom, it leaks out somehow. So I use the socks.
    I have two chicks that hatched just fine. I didn't realize this was going to have any issues. Gosh, I feel like a dad pacing the maternity ward. (I am a mom, but Mom's don't do that, lol)
    I hope in the morning, they are hatched.
    Any advice?

My two little babies.........

[​IMG]

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I think 80% humidity is too high but that is me. Other than that all you can do is wait. On day 25 crack them open and see what happens.

Lanae

3. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I read somewhere to keep it higher at the end. Gosh, I hope I did not drown my poor babies.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I keep my humidity around 65 to 70% during lock down.

5. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    ok I guess I read bad info.
    Day 23. They are probably all dead.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Humidity for lockdown is going to depend on a lot of things. It will depend on what your humidity was during the first 18 days, how much moisture evaporated out of the eggs during those days and what your humidity is like where you live. Even the elevation where you live can effect what humidity you should have at lockdown. If the eggs evaporated enough water during the first 18 days, high humidity at lockdown will not drown the chicks. The eggs do not re-absorb water. Look at your air cells. Here is a chart that I use to determine what humidity to set for lockdown:
    [​IMG]
    Usually my aircells are bigger than the day 18 picture so I will set the humidity at about 75%. If your air cells are the right size or smaller, I would suggest lowering your humidity since you could be drowning the chicks. Hope this helps!

7. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Thank you for this good information. I incubated them at 55 percent average. I searched the internet for information on incubating them and some place stated that they could not get out of their shells easily unless latter humidity was high and I forget how high they said, but it was upwards to 90 percent, if i remember.
    So I thought that I was doing my chickens a favor by raising their humidity. Instead I probably killed them all. The two that hatched out, must have been ok with that humidity.
    I floated some yesterday. The chicks are fully developed. They just are not hatching. There is no peeping. No pipping.
    So today I will begin to unwrap some and see if that is the case. Today is day 23. Doubtful that they are ok if it was the humidity that did it. :*(

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Don't beat yourself up too much. It is a learning process. Goodness knows I learn something new every time I incubate. I was really confused about humidity as well. All the different recommendations, the good hatches someone got at this humidity vs. that humidity. It took me a few hatches to understand that the correct humidity for Arizona will not be the same as the correct humidity for Florida. The correct humidity for sea level will be different than the correct humidity for 4500' above sea level. Don't get me wrong, I know that people are trying to give good information, but what works for them might not work for you where you live. The time of year can also effect the correct humidity as well. Where I live in Utah the humidity is different in the winter than it is in the summer. That is why I will candle and check air cells during incubation and adjust humidity as I go. Keeping [​IMG] for your other eggs and [​IMG] for you.

9. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I just removed the opened egg and inspected. Chick fully formed in yoke with a sack at the tummy and it was dead. Were they supposed to absorb that sack before hatching?
    It was sad. I lowered the humidity and left the rest of the unpipped eggs in there, but I know they are probably all dead. I guess in one more day, I will just toss them all.
    I am thankful that I got two chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by