Day 22.. one unhatched egg? How long do I wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 88heather, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    I had 4 eggs left in my Mini Brinsea Advance.. 3 of them all hatched within hours of each other .. they started pipping the eggs on day 20 and all hatched on day 21 within a few hour time span.

Now i have this one lone egg.. no broken shell.. nothing.. I candled the eggs throughout.. This is a dark maran egg so they are hard to see inside..

How long do I give it? [​IMG]

thanks for any help!

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think if you haven't heard any taping or peeping, it's probably a quitter. [​IMG] I'm sure I have a few of those myself this hatch, almost all dark eggs.

3. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I would wait until day 23-25 at less because I had an egg like that and I rushed it and opened it up on the 23rd day and it was fully developed and would have hatched but I killed it when I opened the membrane and hit a blood vessel.

4. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    I would be soooo sad if I killed this one IF there is a live chick in there.. still nothing.. Today is day 22.. I would be soooo great if it hatched.. I have a name for it already IF it hatches.. but I'm having doubts.. the other eggs all hatched near the same time.

still waiting and hoping!

5. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Once I had an egg that hatched a whole week after all the other chicks! I call her little Lee because she is such a tiny just like her momma.

6. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    a WEEK later?? WOW!!!! Did you candle the egg within that week? Should I take the egg out really quick and sniff it?? I got the 3 chicks out of the incubator.. added water inside and left this egg inside. It's a black copper maran egg.. I have to wonder how typical it is for an egg to hatch days late??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by