Day 22-OPEND EGG-WHAT WENT WRONG?? graphic pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephanie1992, Oct 11, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok so i candled on day 22 after seeing no movement from the egg what so ever and when i candled it saw no veins or movement, so i slowly opend the egg watching for blood or movement, i opend from the air cell down. well when i opend the air cell part all i saw was the chick bottum soo the chick was upside down in the egg. And it wasnt moving at all and i saw yolk. so i dumped the chick out, came out easy, membrain on egg was dry like it was ready to hatch. maybe it died because it was upside down, bu the yolk wasnt ubsorbed at all. soo any ideas on y it died??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. stephanie1992

anyone?? im thinking the humdity was high. anyone have other ideas???

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Maybe humidity was too low...it ran out of room to move and turn to face the right way? [​IMG]

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Was there a lot of fluid or moisture when you opened it up?
    If so then yes, the humidity was probably too high...

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    It looks awfully wet for a day 22. What was your humidity during incubation? What kind of incubator were you using?

6. stephanie1992

there wasnt alot of moisture in it, there was some, so idk. and i have no way to tell humidity, its a LG still air.

7. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I would recommend next hatch you go to Petsmart or other pet store and invest the bit of money in a hygrometer, the humidity is very important in a hatch, I have had much better success rates since I started using one. Is the liquid in the bottom of that dish the amount that came out of that egg? It may look like not much, but in an egg that is a LOT of moisture!

8. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm so sorry...I went through this last week and its heartbreaking. [​IMG] You can buy a thermometer/hygrometer at Walmart for $9 if you have one located close to you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  9. stephanie1992

Quote:its heartbreaking and irritating. i have an egg due tomorrow and 13 more on friday, and they are shipped eggs that alot of money was spent on.

10. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I'm so sorry stephanie1992, I will have my fingers crossed for the rest of your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by