Day 22 questions . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 19, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi, first hatch, would appreciate some feed back from those who know please.
    26 eggs shipped to me.
    let rest and then put in new HOVA 1528 incubator w/ auto turner.
    temp stayed at 76 for two days. the good folks at BYC said faulty Incubator take it back fast, i did. New one temp quickly rose and held at 100. Good folks at BYC said count that day as day one, I did.
    I did not candle, wasn't secure in my knowledge, felt better letting nature go on this one.
    One other bump in the road, my fault, I let the water in the trough go dry for a day around day 14, could have been less than a day but no more.
    Removed turner at day 18 and filled second trough as recommended in owners manual.
    Yesterday was day 21 by BYCers calculations, had 5 hatches plus two pips and one zip. One pip got left over egg white over his beak and we watched him breath bubbles for a while and then stop, definately has died in shell. One pip and zip are still breathing but no real progress. and absolutley nothing out of the other 18 eggs.
    So how long do I wait to take out hatched chicks?
    Are the pip and zip that are still breathing ok when the Jackson 5 play soccer with them and roll their holes face down?
    How long do I wait until giving up on unhatched eggs?
    thanks in advance you guys hae been wonderful through this!

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would say you are done hatching.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Really? how long should I wait to take the soccer players out if they hatched yesterday? and what should I do about the pip and zip who are still alive but not making any progress?

4. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Okay I am sure that many will disagree and I have no experience with a Hova bator. But IMHO I would remover the chicks that have hatched and put them in the brooder. Do this as quickly as possible and then make sure your pip and zip are in good position and let mother nature take it's course. How long have they been pipped and zipped????

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    24 hours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by