*Day 22 s Almost over, Can I candle??*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Day 22 is almost over and I have no pips. I heard peeping early yesterday morning but then it stopped. Nothing has happened since then.

My friend told me I can pick them up and listen or candle them. Can I ? OR if theyre alive will hurt them?

At 2:30 this afternoon it will be day 23..... So worried and starting to lose hope. [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Only take them out to cadle if you are SURE there are no pips.
    I use a flashlight on mine in the incubator to see very small cracks that I might miss by just looking through the window.

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ill try that. If not Ill candle. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. deedly

deedly New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    If there is a pip inside you will not be able to see anything but black. The problem would be humidity. When you open the bator during the last three days, you might run into the problem of your pips sticking inside the egg and then they will die. If you have opened the bator after your heard one peeping, this is probably what happened. The humidity level dropped to low. You must keep the bator closed for the last three days and run the humidity around 75%.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I did keep it closed. I just realized that 2 had pipped but they look dead.... Im soo upset. I could cry! I kept the humidity up but I guess it wasnt high enough.

6. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:I did keep it closed. I just realized that 2 had pipped but they look dead.... Im soo upset. I could cry! I kept the humidity up but I guess it wasnt high enough.

Are you positive the babes are dead? I'm praying for you hon!!!!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Be patient and hopeful, there is still time. [​IMG]

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina

Are you positive the babes are dead? I'm praying for you hon!!!!

Yes they arent moving and all tht got out was the beak. Im crying like a baby. If only I had opened the bator to help! I have two solid black eggs that still may hatch. I just hope theyre not quitters. [​IMG]

9. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Are you positive the babes are dead? I'm praying for you hon!!!!

Yes they arent moving and all tht got out was the beak. Im crying like a baby. If only I had opened the bator to help! I have two solid black eggs that still may hatch. I just hope theyre not quitters. [​IMG]

I want to hope that their resting...omg this is upsetting me Scarlett!! I agree with 1Muttsfan, there is still hope.

10. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes they arent moving and all tht got out was the beak. Im crying like a baby. If only I had opened the bator to help! I have two solid black eggs that still may hatch. I just hope theyre not quitters. [​IMG]

I want to hope that their resting...omg this is upsetting me Scarlett!! I agree with 1Muttsfan, there is still hope.

Don't worry about me! I'll cope with this somehow. [​IMG] Enjoy your little one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by