Day 22 still no pip...all 4 dead...WAA!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Since my LG still air w/turner held well at 100.6 instead of 101 or 102 does this mean I may not get a pip on time? Maybe day 22/23? Of course I know from you guys to sit on my hands and wait and I even put the bator in the basement on this batch so I wouldn't keep peeking in but it's still hard not to worry given my track record on my first hatch...that one was a fiasco.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I say wait another day or so. [​IMG] I went to throw mine out and decided to candle before I did just to see what had happened and had one moving! Helping it to hatch right now.

Maybe someone a little more experienced will chime in soon!

3. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    My first hatchwas a bust also...so don't feel alone...

I am now on day 19 with my second attempt and I am feeling more confident...but are the chicks feeling confident...

They need to hurry out....NOW? ha ha ha

I have a homemade bator...with windows on the top and side...Now I can walk down the hall and see the eggs.

lol

Black404

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:That's what I am thinking I need! Windows everywhere!!! Cool idea!

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] That would REALLY drive me crazy being able to see them doing nothing all the time...I thought putting them down in the basement would help but nooo...I was fine until yesterday, only checked on days 7, 14 and then 18 when put in the egg carton...Since yesterday I am down there every hour on the hour seems like. So much for "out of sight out of mind" huh.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, temps and humidity could be lower then they should be so give them time....

7. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks tuffoldhen I'm trying...[​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You really want them to pip and hatch on day 21. Any earlier and you have to suspect something isn't quite right with your incubator.

Don't start the hand wringing until day 21 comes and goes and there are no pips.

Good luck!

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Have patience!...lol

10. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Ok, The pipping being better on day 21 is very encouraging, thank you. I'm going to go take my DH's place on the mower for a while and play with the chickens outside(get my mind out of the basement)...Time to bring them fresh water anyway...Been pretty hot here. See ya'll later I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by