day 22 still nothing!!! what do i do? help or not????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, May 12, 2010.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    we are on day 22. using a brinsea advance
    all eggs had good chicks moving before we went into lockdown
    temp has been steady the whole time. 99.6
    humidity was good 1st 18 days 43%-46%
    lockdown started and the humidity took a while to get above 60% it has stayed at 65% until this morning it was down to 50%
    got it back up to 65%-66%
    some eggs look like they were moving but have seemed to stop
    my question???
    how long do i wait before helping?? and HOW do I help???
    could it be that they have pipped on the bottom and can't hatch out???
    I am very new at this would love some help
    This is a 2nd grade project with my class so I do not have access to a warm shower with lots of humidity to open up the bator
    I am adding water through a straw through the vents to keep humidity up

Please help?? My class is so anxious and I am not sure if we will have any hatch!!
    UGH

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    If everything is good (temp-Humidity) I would just wait! It can take longer. I have had them take 25 days myself! I try to keep humidity up to 65-90% for lock down. But they may just be a lil behind schedule. No worries yet! Hang in there. Try tapping on the glass/plastic and cheeping to them. It sounds funny but it works for me.

Good Luck and God Bless!

3. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    thanks
    we are peeping a little bit
    the egg that keeps moving is the biggest/brown egg in there Not sure what kind of chick. But when we peep we see it move a little
    I will try to get the humidity up a little more...
    it is so hard not being able to watch all night. I have to leave school and hope it is all okay over night
    GOSH I hate waiting

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    They should be fine! The chicks are fine for 3 days without water and food. They have all the yolk they just absorbed still! No worries!

God Bless!

5. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    so if no pips on day 22, there is still hope???
    I should NOT help or do anything? Just wait and watch??!
    Thanks for your responses.
    I have been trying to figure out how to tell my class the chicks may not hatch.....
    Keep your fingers crossed,
    I am sitting at school in front of the incubator and my eyes are hurting I am watching this one egg... did it move? or was that my eyes?
    Please send some positive thoughts
    Thanks

6. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Positive thoughts! [​IMG]

7. phoebeq

phoebeq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Cotopaxi, Colorado
    Quote:I was doing the exact same thing...I stared at one egg for like 10 minutes...I swear I saw it move, but that was 2 days ago, so I think it was just my eyes [​IMG]

8. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    My chicks FINALLY hatched on Day 23-24. Still hope! While I did lose quite a few (I am sure due to low temps), I am still happy that I had 8 make it. All I can say is that I wanted to help SO BAD, and resisted with an exception of 2 chicks which had not progressed after about 12-16 hours. They pip and it literally took a day for them to finish the hatch. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

9. inkypinky

inkypinky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Auburndale
    in my exp. you cant really "help" them start to hatch- youre probably gonna do more harm than good- start bleeding etc...if you see something happen to them and have to intervene thats different( so hard to leave those that have already hatched in with those pipping and have them running around knocking into the others still in eggs..grr!!!) - but I wouldnt reccomend doing anything if they havent even pipped- even then- let them be--we all wanna help to some degree and maybe momma hens do help sometimes but I havent seen "helping" be of much real help..[​IMG]

10. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    got it... no helping here, just waiting patiently
    now I am whistling into the little vent.
    added a little more water to the sponge humidity at 68%
    Gotta leave school soon, wish something would happen before I leave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by