Day 22 under a broody..how long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by So Cal Chick'ns, Mar 27, 2012.

1. So Cal Chick'ns

So Cal Chick'ns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    I had 8 eggs under a broody hen (actually two broody hens who are both dedicated setters). One egg began to pip and to hatch, but ended up crushed beneath one of the hens (this was day 20). Today is day 22, and I see no pips, absolutely nothing in the other 7 eggs. How long should I wait before I call it quits?. I'm a first timer, as are my girls. We are so sad.

2. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    oh gosh I am sorry for your loss.. I would so not pull the eggs. I would give them at least five more days. can you put some food and maybe a small water in next to the girls and then be sure to take the water out after they drink so it does not spill and chill the eggs. my hens are funny one is so tame she lets us hand feed her and bring drinks to her when she is setting she lets us listen to her eggs and we sometimes hear them peeping. keep the faith and we will send good prayers your way. I have been thinking I got an incubator and we are so low on funds I am thinking we may need the money, it was 80.00 and I feel so gulty spending the funds now so I think I may thake it back...

3. So Cal Chick'ns

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    Thank you so much Mama Dixie. I have been hand feeding and watering both girls the entire time...they are the sweetest sisters. I have taken them both out for just a few moments each day. They do their thing (literally, maybe five minutes) and then run back to the nest. I stopped taking them out about three days ago, leaving them to set on the eggs without being disturbed.

I will definitely wait several more days! Thanks for the prayers, and the little glint of hope!

I'll say some prayers back that things get a little easier for you financially, and that "bator" brings you many beautiful babies for future prosperity!

4. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    you will just be so thrilled when your mom's have there babies they are so cute when they love there babies and take care of them. the only thing is that the babies raised this way seem like they are more wild and dont want to be held or fed by hand as much as the ones we raise under a heat and handle , I think they think we are there moms :) so do you think I should keep the incubator?

5. So Cal Chick'ns

Jul 8, 2011
    RSM
    Well...my goodness...I don't know your financial situation, but if you can survive without that 80.00, I'm sure you could make it up later selling eggs from all the ladies you hatch! You could probably sell some chicks too!

Sometimes, the joy that something brings our hearts is worth sacrificing in other areas of our lives...but, don't put yourself in harms way if you truly need the money for necessities. Such a tough decision, I know...I have been there!

What part of the country are you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by