1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22 under a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tnelly13, Apr 4, 2016.

1. tnelly13

tnelly13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2015
    HI, this is my silkies first time being broody so I gave her some fertile eggs. I have never hatched out eggs before. We are now on day 22 and no piping or anything. I candled one of the eggs this morning and it is completely dark and I can't see anything through it. ( I really don't even know what I should be looking for at that stage) I didn't want to look at any more just in case they are going to try to hatch soon. I candled at day 7 and 14 and from what I could tell, it looked like they were developing. How long should I leave them for? If they don't hatch I was going to try to get her a few babies to put under her. Any advice?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd wait at least another 24 hours. Keep us updated, and good luck.

3. tnelly13

tnelly13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2015
    I am now on day 24. I went ahead and candled a couple of them. This one pictured and one other is dark all the way through. [​IMG]

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like a fully developed egg. If the eggs are not stinking, I'd let her keep on setting on them.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any luck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by