Day 22(Updated)...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whitney9988, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Whitney9988

Whitney9988 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    My silkie has been sitting on her nest now for about 22 days. I when I candled the egg all the space inside is dark except the air cell. I'm worried that the chick has died. There is no peeping or noises like pecking coming from inside the shell. I'm just really starting to get nervous. Last time one of my chickens broody only 6 out of 20 hatched… Is there a way to tell if the chick is dead other than being patient? Unless this chick is going to be fashionably late like its dad who hatched a week late.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    When a hen hatches eggs you can't hold her to 21 days. It is not uncommon for the chicks to hatch a bit late as it is impossible to know exactly when development actually started. Give her a few more days.

Richard

3. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    Well I know there was a chick developing by 4-5. Somebody told me that cold weather can effect their development. Is this true?

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    When a hen goes broody, she will lay all the eggs before she sets. So instead of being day 22, it might only be day 18. Relax and give the eggs a few more days. A silkie hen is the best incubator going. I hatch almost all my eggs with them. They will set until they hatch a golf ball.

5. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    Today I decided to take the egg out and crack it since the chick hasn’t hatch. I was worried that the chick was dead and I was right. It died probably around 1 ½ weeks along. I’m thinking the sudden cold weather. I’m also wondering if it’s the breeds the chick would have been. The dad is a full sized barred rock- americana and the mother is a silkie. Could the size difference play a role in its death? Or was it just bad luck?[​IMG]

6. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't think the size would matter. You are probably right and it was the cold.

7. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    Is it safe to candle an egg daily until hatch? About how long will it take until she starts laying again? She still keeps making a nest even though there is no egg. Poor thing:/...

Last edited: May 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by