day 22 !! What happened?? Please any advice , (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wyogirl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I incubated 12 local fertile eggs, 19 shipped eggs, of all the eggs only 3 of the local survived, temps were very stable 99-100, humidity from day 1-18 lowest 22 high 48, lockdown 65-75. The ones that hatched were also wet and very sticky, had to give 2 of them baths to wipe off the hard goo. What do i need to do differently???? I used my homemade incubator that kept everything stable temp and humidity!
    I just purchased a new incubator a Brinsea Eco 20, have also purchased a new thermometer/hygrometer which will be here in a few days along with 24 eggs to try again!!!!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These 3 pics are of same chick, very wet,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last one looked shrink wrapped to me the inner membrane was pretty tight , these pics are of chicks of the local unshipped eggs!!

Out of a total of ~60 shipped eggs( I lost track and don't really want to know) i have 1 silkie, 2 lavender orps!!!!
    Very frustrated in WY
    Ayda:hit:duc:rant

2. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i would have to say your heat was not hot enough are you a still air unit if so your temps should be in the 101.1-101.5 area and humity should be 45-50% days 1-18 and then last days in lock down humity 60-70 % . looks like what i did on my frist batch (sticky chick ) i am so sorry for your loss i know it is so madding and pain full to see them little chicks not makeing it [​IMG] but keep going it will get better out of my 2nd hatch i had 19 eggs 5 hatched and are full of life and running around. i know i open it to much so i think that was some of my last problem.
    good luck!!!!! [​IMG]

3. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    if it is/was only day 22, how did you know they weren't going to hatch? i'm curious.

4. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    candled them there was no movement, then of course looked up what some others do on BYC, they slowly crack shell, and see if any life, nothing moved at all, and you could see the shrink wrap, also it was day 23 not 22 (sorry). The other chicks had a heck of a time hatching so I figured................... maybe I shouldn't of ??? But when I totally opened it they were definitely DEAD!
    Ayda

5. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:I have a forced air one, maybe with this Brinsea I can do better. This will be my last hatch till spring so am keeping my fingers crossed:fl

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You're not alone when hatches don't hatch. I found a couple university info sheets going over the details.

Did you candle at days 7, 14 and 18? To view the progression of the air cell ? I just finsihed my first hatch getting 14/24. It was hard work! I had so many little mishaps that i wasn't sure anything would survive. Lots of candling to understand what I was looking at, too! LOL

Two sources to figure out what went wrong:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Diagram of air cells both duck and chicken:
    http://www.poultryconnection.com/quackers/aircell.html

7. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thanks I just printed the air cell pics and will match it to my eggs. Am also having my DH record humidity and temps every 2 hours while I'm gone LOL he'll love that!!
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by