Day 22 whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lanissa86, May 18, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So today is Day 22 and I only have 4 out of 14 out. My polish egg was the first to pip on Day 19 and has made NO progress. I just see its little beak slowly breathing but he/she is not even trying! Do I help now that its been this way for three days? How do I help it? My other pip-er started zipping yesterday but has not completed and he too looks like he/she is not trying now! If they do hatch out that 6 out of 14 eggs and the other don't even have pip or nothing! I am just worried and need to know if there is anything that can be done. Thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What incubator are you using? Have you had any low temps? What is your current temp? What is the humidity?

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I am using Hova-bator 1620 or 02 ? I forgot the number, I'm stressed and tired, but i am sure you know what I am talking about. Its the forced-air one. Temps have been steady through the whole incubation at around 99.5-100.1 and the humidity has been between 70%-80% at this very moment its at 76%.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Has the humidity been at 70 - 80% the entire incubation period or just during the last 3 days up to hatch? What are you using to measure temps and humidity?

5. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    only the last 3 days, before the humidity was around 50 or so. I am using an Accu-rite from wal-mart in a water wiggler

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is not uncommon for eggs to pip and the chick to die before hatching - especially shipped eggs. 21 days is an average for a hatch not a set in stone date.

I will not tell you to help because I am not there to see what is going on. You can decide to take a wet warm papertowel and wrap the egg that pipped 3 days ago in it. With a tweezer very slow ease back a bit of shell. What does the membrane look like? Dry and tough? Dribble a drop of warm water on it making sure NOT to get it in the beak, the chick will drown. Ease back a tiny bit. Be super careful if you see blood at all stop and wrap the egg in the papertowel and put it back in the bator. Come back in 30 min to an hour and try again. Blood means the chick is still needing the membrane of the egg for life support and it is not ready to hatch.

Read these threads for more details

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48726

Good luck!

7. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you so much, I think I might try helping, the membranes looks moist...lets hope I can do this. [​IMG]

8. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, I hatched my first pip Polish bantam baby. No bleeding at all, but the membrane was like a vacuum around the poor thing, plus I really think my little guy was too big for that tiny egg! Well, I put him back in the bator to dry. He is breathing fine and everything but still looks like he has no initiatve to move. My poor baby, I hope he/she pulls through! It looks to be a golden laced polish also...come on little one! [​IMG]

9. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    well done and good luck ! [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hope the chick pulls through for you. Sometimes it takes them a bit to pull it together and gain enough energy to do anything more than sleep. Watch this baby and keep it warm. It may take 24 hours or more for it to perk up. Let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by