Day 22

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by melroseladi, Aug 6, 2011.

1. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Today is day 22 of my silkies setting on 7 guinea eggs. Today I will be getting their brooder cage ready in anticipation of any of the eggs hatching. I have a very large cage, great dane size, that I will be putting hardware cloth over today. The silkies live in a wooden night stand with door and shelves removed laying on it's side. That is where they are nesting. I am going to put that inside the cage so they have something familiar. I am so excited to try this experiment of having my silkies hatch out some guineas for me. I want to increase my flock size and am hoping with the silkies raising them they will be less flighty then the keets were that my guinea hen was raising.

I don't want them to be overly friendly though since I do free range them. I don't want them to loose their natural instincts of protecting themselves and each other.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Sounds like a good plan, hope they all hatch for you!
    Post pics when they hatch, I wanna see!

3. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Quote:I will definitely post pics. The silkies were acting "odd" this morning when I went to check on them so I'm hoping that is a good sign. I am hoping I get a lav but since I love my pearls so much I will be perfectly happy if they are all pearls. I just hope they hatch. These were eggs I found in the woods so not sure how viable they were to begin with.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Maybe you can candle them tonight when it's dark to see if they have development/ live keets in them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by