Day 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DURR, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    No movement or anything no piping, nothing. I cracked Two and it looks like the yolk busted and tiny embryo's ( bout day 3-4 old ) were stuck to the side? One day the temp got to high around 104 but its a still air bator. I was wondering if it was bacterial or were they cooked. Would you advise I remove the rest of the eggs?

2. CayleeMarie03

CayleeMarie03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    I don't know what could have happened, but you should leave the rest of the eggs in until day 28-30.

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Temperature is huge. Still air incubators are very unpredictable. You need to get a thermometer from the store that is a wireless digital thermometer. This way you can see the high and low in the incubator every day. Also it is good to have one that has an arrow indicator showing whether the temperature is steady or rising and falling. If the temperature is not staying steady within 1° or a decimal of a degree you will always have problems with the health of your checks and or hatching.

4. DURR

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    I have a wireless digital thermometer that has a humidity reader on it. The low is 97 and the high is 100. It never fluctuates under 97 or above 100 except that one time when it reached 104. But I cracked a couple more and the air sacks were huge and the embryo's were again within the 3 to 5 day stage and stuck to the side of the egg. The humidity I try to keep between 35 and 50. I have decided to toss the rest except for my 5 fresher eggs which I set 2 - 5 days ago and 3 more the past two days. It appears that the first two are developing good but is the vein sack like thing they develop in supposed to remain in one spot or move? This is my first try at incubating, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I would at this stage Candle and Tap if no external pipping has occured..

CANDLE & Tap!
    Candle and look for an internal pip. Pencil mark the air cell,
    [​IMG]

Below is what an internal pip it looks like.
    The beak is thrust through the inner membrane into the air cell.

[​IMG]

Tap with your fingernail GENTLY on the air cell and hold to your ear, Can you hear a peep?

This guide is assisted hatch, however it has information on the proces of checking your egs for viability FOLLOW ALL STEPS!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HELP UNLESS YOU ARE POSITIVE ITS TIME, READ the information FIRST!
    And follow this guide through its important you read the first part to understand what is going on in the egg... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    3 degree change is too much. Try insulating around the incubator but keep air holes open. See if you can get it to fluctuate no more than 1 degree. Then we can address the rest. Also I would add a wet sponge or two to bring the humidity closer to 60% when close to hatching.

7. DURR

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    I tried covering some holes that I added to stabalize the temp better and it sky rocketed. Went all the way to 109! Thank god I was able to fix it before the sat in that for too long. Now I have it steady at 99. Been like that for an hour, the humidity I got to stay steady at 45-47% I wonder if I move my bator to a slightly warmer room if that would help? Currently they are in my kitchen which stays a little cold for me.

Also if the vein sack thing is stuck to the side of the egg does that mean they are no good? Or does it pose a threat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by