Day 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ShawFarms, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ShawFarms

ShawFarms New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    Campbell, Missouri
    Ok, this is our first time hatching eggs. Our Brooding Hen was sitting on 18 eggs before we figured out to separate the other two hens away from her. It's been 22 days since we did, she couldn't keep one chick alive so we brought three inside to take care of and we put seven of her eleven eggs left in the incubator. Four chicks didn't make it, then she stopped brooding and left four eggs unhatched. Our incubator only holds seven eggs. They started hatching last Sunday, one hatched every day for five days. Out of the two left, one is chirping but not trying to peck its way out. We don't hear anything from the other one. We thought maybe the shell might be too thick for it to peck out? They are Blue Splash Marans and the darkest egg's shells are really hard. It takes a lot of force just to bust one open to fry. Should we try to help it get out or just wait to see what happens? This was the darkest brown egg out of the bunch. All we know is the egg has to be 22 days old or older. And the poor little thing is chirping like it wants out! It's been chirping for 24 hours now.

2. sundayafternoon

sundayafternoon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
  3. ShawFarms

ShawFarms New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    Campbell, Missouri
    Thank you! I feel better now. We just reset the counter for two more days so it will keep turning the eggs and maintain temperature.. So we will see what happens. I was hoping they would all hatch out and be close to the same age. I've noticed the bigger chicks are mean to the younger ones.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If they are about to hatch you really don't need to turn them.

1 person likes this.
  6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    once the young ones are old enough to run around ther should not be a problem, when they are little they are just exploring their world. "what does a toe taste like? What does your eyeball taste like?" then they move on to food and water. don't hover over the birds too much as long as they are not drawing blood they are okay.

7. ShawFarms

ShawFarms New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    Campbell, Missouri
    I can't stand to watch them peck at each other's eyes. Ugh! Still nothing happening with the eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by