Day 23 1 Silkie Chick Hatched and that is all.What should I do????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackSwampGirl, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I am so upset.And I don`t hear anything at all.Should I try to see what is the problem.I hate this,first it was too dry ,but I had one of the cutest Little White Silkie just pip and made his way out of the shell all by him self.I have a LG and I had put both plugs in and out he comes.So he was so sweet.I think I made a mistake I put a little water in a small cup and put in there and both plugs and I think they have drowned.This is killing me.Don`t know what to do,,,Please HELP ME!!!!!!

2. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I am on day 23 with Silkies too. I have only had 2 hatch and still have 9 eggs in there. I am going to candle them tonight. I haven't seen any movement or heard anything out of them either so I am freaking out. This is my first hatch with a borrowed incubator and it is really stressful! I feel your pain.

I have been reading on this forum and it seems like some could hatch quite late. And I had a lot more water in there to get the humidity level right (as well as both plugs in) so don't freak out about one bowl of water.

3. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    It is really stressful.And it is really getting on my nerves.I did not tell you that just 1 out of 34 silkie eggs.I really am going to buy them live next time.At least we got each other to go along with the hatch,Sandra

4. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Well I ENDED UP WITH 1[​IMG] LITTLE WHITE SILKIE ROO,OUT OF 34 EGGS,And don`t know what happened

5. Cpntherfan

Cpntherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Lancaster S.C
    sorry to hear it, was you sure all the eggs were fertile?

6. scarletgal

scarletgal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    The learning curve is a difficult road to travel but we have all been on it. Some do better than others. Do you have a good hygrometer? I got one at Target that has temp and humidity for inside and outside and is RF so you can keep the read out in the room you are in and keep an eye on things. Keeping the humidity constant and not to much is really important. I drowned a whole incubator full of pipping eggs once.. I felt like a homicidal something... Now if I get too much water in, I use a wash cloth and soak up some and recheck in 15 minutes. I always make sure I have 15 minutes after I do something major, like ad water or adjust temp and sort of putter around close by or carry the monitor with me so I don't goof up and get distracted by my life.
    My hatch rate on my silkies is excellent now but I am trying to hatch call ducks and only had one hatch last week so I feel your pain.. Hang in there, it will get better.

7. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Man, I get ya. I am having horrible luck hatching but I am determined to make it work. I have a friend who has the best luck. Everything she touches hatches! We use the same incubator too.

This recent hatch resulted in 2 chicks out of 24 and one of the chicks just died today. So I have a $70 chick right now.

I am reading reading reading and trying to figure out my plan of action right now. I am driving 3.5 hours on Friday (one direction) to get more Silkie eggs because I don't trust the PO right now. I plan on starting a new hatch Friday night with local eggs.

8. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss.It hurts so bad,and I am just getting back to u.Sorry[​IMG]....Well I got one out of that bunch and the next bunch I got was Silver Pencil Rocks.They all died.I got nothing for $45.But I have learned something this time.I got a batch of Silkies eggs,and I left one plug out the whole time and did not fill the trays all the way full.So the egg would not touch the water and believe it not the best Hatch I ever had w/Silkies.They were supposed to be White Silkies (12),2 Buff,2 Orfington,and 2 OEG.Well most of the silkies are mixed.But next time I will know more about what to do.And I was so tired of hatching.I have not got any more.I am like you I think it is better to get them as local as possible.Good Luck,PM me back if you get this.Have a good day,Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by