day 23-15 chicks hatched ***update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, May 30, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I have 6 more eggs though and none have pipped. I candled them quickly when I candled my other bator's eggs. At least 4 of them have something moving inside and poking up into the air sac inside. Do I leave them alone totally now, or do I pole a tiny pinhole in the top for oxygen to be able to get in? Do they need help getting out? Agh- I've read too many things about this, but it seems like everyone has a slightly different opinion or experience with it. I don't want them to die and Me not having done anything if I should have.
    Can anyone advise me tonight? Soon?
    Lisa

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm going to bed now- but I did go back and reread alot of the threads...I especially liked Richard's biological explanation of pipping and hatching; so based on that, I'll wait and not do anything tonight...hopefully in the morning, they will have made an external pip or better yet, zipped their ways right out!
    G'night all!
    Lisa

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    yay- 1 Buff Orp hatched overnight! I'm glad I didn't touch them!

4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Conratulations!! [​IMG]

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thank you! There's another pip too now...hope that one zips and hatches soon.
    Lisa

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    it did!!! just a little while ago- I took pics as it pushed the lid up and off...so cute! Now I just have 4 eggs left and they haven't pipped yet, but I'm still hoping! [​IMG] It's day 22 and 15 out of 19 eggs have hatched into chicks. i had tons of eggs though that were clear or blood rings- bought from Ebay or trades...I wish shipping was less brutal on the eggs!

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Congrads. [​IMG] [​IMG] And don't forget the pictures.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Very good hatch! I know it's real hard to do nothing, but it's probably the best. Pics?

Where is Richard's biological explanation? I'd like to read it.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Here are pics.... and I found it by searching for the word intervening...I'll go look for it after I load these pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry if there are too many... I go nuts with my camera and wish I had a better one like my son's new one with the macro-zoom- its crystal clear. Mine is less than 2 yrs old. Ugh.
    Lisa
    PS- look for my pics of the button quail on my other thread...called "Update- 14 in all...OMgosh 2 Button Quail just hatched"

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    They are adorable little [​IMG] 's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by