Day 23 ... 2 pips and a chirper within the shell...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BreezeCrestChickens, Apr 13, 2012.

1. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Well...I was about ready to turn my incubator off this morning as its day 23 and I've had NOTHING NADDA NOPE! I tried candling but that technique went down the drain when I realized I can't see anyways. So I decided its been long enough so I'll just give up and try again. I unplugged my incubator, heard the mail truck at the end of the driveway, went and got my parcel, came back, opened it, CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP.....WHAT IS THAT NOISE!?!?! Frantically searched the house and realized...stupid me...that was a CHICK! ITS ALLLLIIIVEEEEE!!![​IMG]I have 15 eggs set...and there was one pip'd at this point. That was 11am yesterday. About 5 minutes later another one pip'd. That's been it...all day. I whistle they both chirp. I talk to them they don't talk back. I had to go out this evening and was praying they'd be hatched when I came home....no. Of course not. But still chirping their heads off. So much my bf can't nap on the lounger downstairs HAHA! I decided to check the other eggs to see if there's any pip'ing underneath. Well the first one I rolled over, moved and chirped at me. So I apologized and left it be. Out of 15, 3 are chirpers. The rest, nothing, no tapping even. Boo :( I know I struggled with temp at first because we had 20+C weather then -5C weather and snow storms...so had to adjust for my furnace kicking in. Not to mention the water level was a wee bit high...probably why its been Day 23 with nope hatched out yet.

I guess my question is, where its now 1230am...13 and a half hours...is this normal to be pip'd and chirping like crazy??? I'm sitting on my hands waiting and not about ready to help because I'd be too scared to mess something up!!!! I've got the incubator temp steady at 95F...don't know what the water level is like because I have no hygrometer. And my incubator is just a still air.

2. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Yes totally normal. I has a tiny tiny pip in an egg. Went to bed woke up nothing more still exactly the same. Well a few hours later still nothing. Then I left for 20 mins came back and found a chick... A good 16-20 hours after pip. Some people say it can take up to 36 hours for the eggs to zip after pipping. I'd say 24 is normal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    36!?!?!? Anytime I had my friends do it it was roughly 12 hours or so. Guess they got lucky [​IMG] Lets hope my squirrelly brain can handle another 12 hours at least. WOWY GEEE!!!! .... maybe I just need some sleep HAHAHA! I'm so used to foaling and calving time that its like BABIES THIS IS A BIRTH MUST.STAY.AWAKE.

4. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! [​IMG]

I woke up this morning and I immediately checked the chicks. My bf was already awake and said...one changed over night, its more cracked. Uh? ...(checks) YOU IDIOT SHE'S ZIPPERED!!! AHHHHHH YAY!!!! I walked away to get my camera and he came over and as I was frantically searching for it he goes....hunny you missed it! NOOOOOOO!!! Sweetest little chickie!!! I named her Lucky! Because somewhere's along here I did something right with a little luck and she came out alive! The most perfect little being ever :) Born at 945am this morning and she just had her poop around 12pm!!! Almost dried up now just waiting on my broody box to finish heating up some. I have one easter egg that's pip'd and just waiting on the darn thing to decide its time to leave the shell behind hahaha!!![​IMG]
    This was just after she was born.

[​IMG]
    And this was a few hours later while she was dried. You can see the green egg that I'm waiting on. The one to the right of it is also a waiter but I haven't seen any movement from it since this morning :(

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

awww so cute! [​IMG]

6. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Glad to see all this, I've got some in lockdown and have little idea what to expect! Congratulations on your wee ones!

7. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Update. As of RIGHT now, 4pm. I still have one chick, Lucky, who is very well almost dry! My 2nd egg has gotten the shell off and is trying to zip the membrane. I'm a little worried as there's some red lines but when I look at Lucky's shell, I realized there's some on there too, so I'll take it as its normal. The chick is energetic inside so I'm not going to panic just yet. I noticed when I took a picture of Lucky there was a pip hole under her head! Then I noticed there was one on the egg her shell was stuck too (good thing I moved her shell it was capped over the top of the other one lol...hard enough for them to go through one let alone 2!!!) So I have 15 eggs in, so far 5 have pip'd with 1 that hatched. Waiting on 4...[​IMG]

8. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Oh yes!!! And Lucky is already a fan of the camera LOL! And she knows who her Mommy is :) I guess she should! Just spent the past...24 days listening to me ramble on hehehe!!! If I go to the window of the bator she's all like...MOM MOM MOM MOM PAY ATTENTION TO ME NO NO NO THERES NO OTHER EGGS JUST ME MOM ...MOMMY....MAMA.....COMEEEE ONNN IM THE CUTE ONE!!!!!

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Congrats, the reason you you are hatching so late is that your temp is wayyyyy to low, it should.be 99.5. You have it at 95*, if your chicks start to chirp really loud turn the heat up. I hope they all hatch for you. Michele

10. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    ohhhhhhh i hope they come out!!!!!!! name then Lucky! Miracle(casue it was a miracle tat they hatched so late)! Hope(cause u were about to give up hope but then u heard a pip)! and Faith(cause it matches the other names)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by