1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 - 3 chicks have opened their shells, haven't come out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NapsWithChickens, Oct 18, 2009.

1. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Not sure what to do...

I have three chicks that have partially zipped thier shells - but for whatever reason, they haven't emerged. They're still alive - temperature and humidity have held steady. Last time this happened, I helped the chick out but she died three days later. She remained a skinny chick who never thrived.

What can I do? I really want these silver laced cochin chicks!

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    oohhh... good luck.....

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    how long have they been zipped... I wouldn't worry unless it's been like a half a day or something...

4. NapsWithChickens

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    They zipped on day 21. Have made little to no progress in two days. I don't want them to grow exhausted/hungry/thirsty and be unable to exit!

Help please!!

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Open them up, girl! Gently break apart the shell working your way down the the bottom of the egg. There will be some veins that connect to the navel like an umbilical cord. Cut these VERY CAREFULLY with scissors. Do not pull or you can damage the navel. ..and let the chick rest on a warm wet papertowel and place back in the bator.

Here's a super detailed version https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. NapsWithChickens

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you, MSBear. I'm off to try and help my chicks. [​IMG]

7. NapsWithChickens

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Okay, one at a time, I removed the shell on each egg very carefully in a "zipped" fashion all the way around the egg. I used an eyedropper and moistened-moistened-moistened. The chicks were peeping at me the whole time. I put them back in the incubator and had to go out for about an hour.

When I got back, there wasn't much change - but the chicks were still very vocal and moving around. So I got the tweezers back out and carefully began removing, while moistening, the shell without breaking the membrane. I got about 75% of the shells off and put the eggs back in the incubator.

After awhile, one of the chicks kicked her way out of the shell. She's kicking herself around and straightening out in the incubator. the second chick got a claw through, but made no other progress. I tore a smidge of the membrane for her and left her alone. The third chick kicked off the membrane and most of the shell, but the bit around her neck and head is stuck to her. Her neck is still bent in the shell, although she can breathe fine and kick her legs. I've moistened it some... but stopped.

I am afraid that the temperature of the incubator is too low (dropped to the low 90's), so I don't want to do any more right now.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Please?

8. NapsWithChickens

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    3:30pm - Update

All three chicks are out of their shells and rolling around! Yippee! The temp has come back up to 99/100 degrees. I took out the wet washcloths because they were cooling. I have had a hard time staying out of the incubator, so I'm sitting at the computer instead. LOL

I guess I have to wait and see if they make it. I mentioned before that I helped a chick out a week or so ago and it never thrived. It died after about 3 days... and was a very skinny chick. Of course, I didn't know to do moisten the membrane, remove the shell gradually, etc... so maybe these chicks will do better.

Your suggestions are still very welcome. I don't want these chicks to suffer due to my ignorance. Thanks, BYCers!!

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:if they are moving around thats a great sign, chicks that are removed from their shell when they arent ready will be curled up and lying still, so that means the bbaies are ready for live out of the shell
    helping them out is one of those things tha is really tricky to know just when the right time is, if you wait to long they die, and if you dont wait long enough they are premature and die
    seems like you did the right thing and will hopefully have some great silver laced cochins!
    i have 3 silver laced cochins as well!!
    here are the two younger ones the male in the front left and the hen behind him
    [​IMG]
    and here is the adult hen who raised the little ones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. NapsWithChickens

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you for your support, Austinhart123. I appreciate it very much.... You have lovely cochins - thanks for sharing your photos.

5:30pm Update

I left the house half an hour ago to take my kids to their dad's place (we're divorced) for the week. When I came home, the chick I named "Brianna" was dead. There was a nasty black sludge coming out of her vent area - I don't know if all chickens do that upon dying or if this was symptomatic of her particular trials. Poor little chick. Rest in peace, little Brianna.

There are two remaining chicks. One has deformed feet - all the toes curl inwards and don't straighten. The other chick looks okay - but is the weakest. (Even Brianna looked better.) I don't hold high hopes for these two chicks at all.

I'm feeling might down at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by