Day 23 5 dead in the shell, 1 left UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantyhen'sfriend, Jan 23, 2011.

1. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I currently have one egg left from a setting of seven white rock bantams. I did add one egg late into the hatch to bring my total up to seven, so it was 2 days behind, and one egg quit day 4. Today was day 23 for the first five, and 21 for the last one. I had not heard peeps or taps for 2 days, so I decided to pick one up and listen to it, since there were no pips. I heard nothing, so I got a small pair of scissors to try and tap open the big end to see if it was even alive.

It was so hard to crack I had to scratch a groove and chisel my way in. The chick was dead, but in perfect position to hatch, and had nearly completely absorbed the yolk. The next one was just like it. Three more had not even made their interior pips before giving up the ghost (although I suspect that two had quit day 18 since there were still big blood vessels around them. I just couldn't get myself to break their membranes and investigate). The last egg (this one is on day 21) I held up to my ear, and heard a little *taptaptaptap-scratchscratch*. I swear I almost dropped it. I scratched a little hole in the big part of the egg, because I suspect that the shells were too tough for the chicks to pip through and they suffocated because they did not get enough oxygen (does this sound plausible?). I can see it breathing, and can see the little blood vessels, so I put a few drops of warm water on the membranes, carefully put it back in, and taped down the cover of the 'bator so I can't "help".

Humidity has been holding steady at 65% for the last few days, and was at 35-45% days 1-18.
    Temp was very steady all the way through.
    My hens get only Purina Flock Raiser and some grit, plus kitchen leftovers when available. We've always had nice, thick shells, but last time I hatched (mutt layers, this is my first hatch with these bantams) they had no trouble getting out.

My questions are: Why did my chicks die? Could the shells be too thick? Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, Sorry to hear you lost the first lot, hope that one comes out good. Thanks for listing all that information. It sounds like you did everything as many who have had success with the same temp and humidity.
    I'll keep tuned to see if the last chick hatches.

Richard

3. bantyhen'sfriend

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Thank you for the reply. I just can't see what went wrong! [​IMG] I was so hoping for some chicks to show at this year's shows, especially since the father got frostbitten and I don't know how his comb & wattles are going to turn out. [​IMG] Hopefully someone with more experience than I have can help.

4. bantyhen'sfriend

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    The remaining chick is still alive and peeping, but I don't know if I should help it. What should I do?

5. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    bantyhen'sfriend :

The remaining chick is still alive and peeping, but I don't know if I should help it. What should I do?

I don't know what others will say, but I myself would help it out, being careful to try to avoid pulling it's umbilical cord out of it's body- of course, it might not even have its cord sucked in anyway, so you need to be prepared for those situations.​

6. bantyhen'sfriend

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    My only concern is that it has not absorbed the yolk, and I am not sure what to do if that is the case.

7. bantyhen'sfriend

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Any other advice? Any answers to the questions in my origional post? It's still alive. [​IMG]

8. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    bantyhen'sfriend :

My only concern is that it has not absorbed the yolk, and I am not sure what to do if that is the case.

I had a chick that had not taken in all the yoke sac before hatch. I left it in the bator with correct humdity and it absorbed it and is happy and healthy.​

9. bantyhen'sfriend

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I guess I was not clear, what I meant was it has not hatched, but I can see it breathing through the hole I made, and peeping. I don't know if the shell is too thick for it to hatch or if it will eventually hatch on its own. If I need to help it, I am worried that it will not have absorbed the yolk.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Okay I would think it has taken the yoke in. I know when mine peep they zip within 2 hours. So I would say help the baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by