Day 23 advice needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robgray, Dec 21, 2014.

1. robgray

robgray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    California
    NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    Today is day 23 and I thought my shipped eggs were dead, saddle air cells and no movement. I poked a whole in one of the shells this morn and the membrane (inner) was white. When I touched the chick there was no wriggling or movement but then I noticed blood on the shell and the membrane started to go redish color. Is it alive? What would I do? I wrapped a wet paper towel around the opening I created and put it back in lockdown.

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    If you poked a hole in the membrane and it turned red it was/is more than likely alive.. You did the right thing with the wet paper towel... How is it/the other eggs doing now?

What were your temps during incubation? Sometimes lower temps can delay a hatch by a few days.

3. robgray

Nov 7, 2014
    California

4. robgray

Nov 7, 2014
    California
    Thanks so much for your help. All 4 lav orps were dead in shell at about day 19 or 20. After much research and 4 autotopsys they died because of lack of ventilation. I am writing this as my first time incubating and i did not take the two vent buttons off the vents. Maybe this will help other newbies. Although probably not as dumd as I. :(((

5. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry!! [​IMG]

We all are newbies at some time or another so don't beat yourself up, this is all a learning experience.. I once lost over 20 chicks because I simply thought they should have hatched on a certain time and on a certain day.. Nobody is dumb, we just all have to go through the ropes of learning, its not easy but believe me, the rewards will be worth it [​IMG]

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    x2 It's a steep learning curve and we've all been there. It's not a one-time learning experience, either. It's ongoing. Even those who have been incubating for years will tweak things now and then to improve hatch rates.
    Next time you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by