day 23 and 3 chick eggs have a crack in them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, Apr 23, 2009.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    We are now on day 23 and 3 eggs have a small crack in them. What should we be looking for now? How long should we wait to see a possible chick. We are using an Ocatgon 20 incubator. I do NOT hear any noises besides the fan. Any suggestions? My 2nd grade class is getting excited. What should I tell them?
    Thanks

2. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Tell them it is alot of work to get out of those shells.

After I noticed the pips in mine, it took about 8 hours for them to show there faces.

Tomorrow you should have chickies.. If not, by the time they get back on monday there will be chickens everywhere.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Quote:Is it okay to leave them in there all weekend????

4. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    chicks are ok for up to three days after hatching is what I've heard...in my experience though, they start pecking EVERYTHING including each other after about 12 hours trying to find food n water.

Also the hatched chicks tend to walk all over the ones that are still trying to hatch and newly drying babies, which can weaken them.

I wouldn't leave them for the entire weekend, but there might be different answers from others. That is a looooong time for stuff to go wrong with a hatch and newly hatched chicks!

Good luck on your hatching!

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldnt leave them all weekend either.......... good luck

6. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Thanks.. I will definately come in over the weekend, if we have a few chicks that have hatched...
    My other question is- we have 19 eggs in there and only 3 that have pipped... will the other eggs also pip? We are now on day 23???
    What do I do?

7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    They don't all pip at the same time...remember the chicken lays one at a time, and will sit over a dozen...so some are on day 23, others might be day 19 still in their little chickie bodies!

Generally they all hatch within a couple days of each other. I've had my chicks hatch (from the same clutch ) as much as four days apart, ducks as much as a week!

Have patience, they are on their own timetable lol. That is why we are slaves to them teehee!

8. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I would check on them over the weekend. If some hatch over the weekend try not to open the bator because it could mess up the others that haven't hatched yet. The chicks will be ok in the bator for a couple days. Try to leave chicks in there and wait for the rest. I bet others will start to pip over the weekend. The kids may get to see some hatch if they hold out till Monday! [​IMG]

9. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    ONE HATCHED!!!!!!! What an amazing experience to see. So now what? I leave him in there and wait for the others. He will be okay in there for a day right?
    How cute to hear him peep!!!!!!!!!

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    yes leave him in 24 hours then put him in the brooder. Good luck and congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by