1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 and only 4 of my thirty hatched.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tobinvalley, Feb 1, 2016.

1. tobinvalley

tobinvalley New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    I have thirty remaining eggs after the day 14 candle and only four hatched so far. Non currently pipping. They're father is Jersey giant... do they take longer?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Don't think so, but I've never had them. When did the last one hatch and what day are you on? Shipped eggs or local?

3. tobinvalley

tobinvalley New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Local and today

4. tobinvalley

tobinvalley New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Tomorrow morning will be day24

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Do you have a still or forced air incubator? What was your temp running at? Did you have more than one thermometer? Did you calibrate them ahead of time?

Usually with a late hatch it is due to low temps... how did they look when you candled at lock down?

6. tobinvalley

tobinvalley New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Forced air. Temperature was99.5 and I used my hvac thermocoupler to test thermometer at the beginning I'm going to retest today.

7. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    When decide that it's time candle and then if no movement very slowly open the shell starting at the air sac. Do an eggtopsy on the unhatched. That can help you determine what went wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by