day 23 and still no pip

Moonshinehollow

Hatching
Oct 30, 2015
it is day 23 on my first time using this incubator the temp has been between 37.2 and 38.4 C humidity was propbably low with gauge averaging 45 % and the past days I raised it to 58-65 % one piped and die on day 20 nothing since then .. so I opened one egg to a full formed chick and of coarse it died after opening it. should I let them set a few more days?

it is day 23 on my first time using this incubator    the temp has been between 37.2 and 38.4 C  humidity was propbably low with gauge averaging 45 %  and the past days I raised it to 58-65 %   one piped and die on day 20 nothing since then ..  so I opened one egg to a full formed chick and of coarse it died   after opening it.   should I let them set a few more days?

Is your incubator fan assisted or still air? If it is a still air incubator, was the thermometer just slightly above the eggs? Or is it a digital incubator?
Humidity sounds right if the hygrometer is accurate.
It is late now for successful hatches I'm afraid. Was the chick in the egg you opened alive or dead?
We will be able to work it out for you. Just need more information.

Last edited:
it is a digital incubator and the sensor is in the lid. The egg I opened the top of and found the chick was still alive but died shortly after placing it back in the unit

I've had a chick hatch unassisted on day 25 and that was under a broody. Mine was a shipped egg so perhaps that caused it's delay.

If your temps have been off it can cause a delayed hatch, have you ever checked the incubators temps with another thermometer? Mine is a full degree off and it's humidity reads 10% higher than it actually is.

How many other eggs do you still have in there?

Last edited:
it was alive still when I opened it the incubator is digital
You are going by the incubator's gages then? Most incubators, unless you have spent the big dough for the Brinseas or R-coms, have unreliable gages. For example, the LG 9300 is NOTORIOUS for being way off. Most users have to adjust their temps 1-3 degrees (F) higher just to get the proper temp inside the bator. Best lesson you can learn when incubating is never trust a thermometer (especially those on the bators) that is not checked for accuracy. Always have an independent checked thermometer in the bator (I use no less than 2 and usually have three).

Sorry that you had a bad hatch.

Yes I agree Amy. Heat before humidity will be the defining feature for a bad hatch especially if the hatch is late. As Amy has suggested purchase a couple of extra good quality thermometers and use them to regulate and check.
You will more than likely find that the temperature in the incubator was not what the reading was saying.
I am sorry also that this hatch hasn't been successful.

When I opened the one the chick was still alive ! will the rest just die in the shell or can I try to do something?

Yes I agree Amy. Heat before humidity will be the defining feature for a bad hatch especially if the hatch is late. As Amy has suggested purchase a couple of extra good quality thermometers and use them to regulate and check.
You will more than likely find that the temperature in the incubator was not what the reading was saying.
I am sorry also that this hatch hasn't been successful.

It really sounds like that is the case to me too.
When I opened the one the chick was still alive ! will the rest just die in the shell or can I try to do something?
There's not much you can do at this point. A chick has to pip and then the vascsular system between chick and egg has to have time to shut down completely before assisting can be done successfully. Before this occurs,any attempt to help will carry the probability of causeing the chick to bleed out. I lost my very first hatch attempt to a faulty (brand new) thermometer. I ended up with one hatcher that survived hatching out at day 24. (The delay caused leg problems that weren't detectable until later on.) That is why I am so anal about checked (multiple)thermometers. I'm not so precise about my hygrometers because I monitor my air cells for growth to know my humidity is accurate for my eggs, but a checked accurate hygrometer is also a good thing to have as well.

When I opened the one the chick was still alive  !  will the rest just die in the shell or can I try to do something?

In addition, all I can suggest at this late stage is to turn up the heat on your incubator. My guess, and that is all it is, is that your incubator was around 1.5 degrees to low. It may help. Whatever you do there are less chances of successful healthy chicks hatching.
Even in the most successful hatches you will get chicks that pip through a vein and bleed to death. I had one do that yesterday under a broody hen. It was the only one out of 12 that didn't make it though.
Try and raise the temperature and see what happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom