1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 chick alive but not fully developed need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeppyLaRoo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. PeppyLaRoo

PeppyLaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    I had 4 of 10 eggs I kept after day 10 to hatch. This was my first try at hatching and the eggs were from young O Shamo and Malay chickens. Some of the eggs were a little older than 10-days. I tried to candle one of the eggs today [day 23] but couldn't tell much. I decided to crack it open. It was alive but weak looking and there was blood in the egg shell. It was not nearly ready to live outside the egg. I took pictures but they are pretty graphic. Should I post a picture so one of the experts can trouble shoot, or should it be taken to email? I have 5 more eggs still unhatched. Is there any chance they will go ahead and develop? Trying to figure out what went wrong.

Let me add that the three strongest chicks were O Shamo and one I helped out a bit was Malay. I think the Malay pullet is younger than the O Shamo pullet.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    You can PM me pictures if you like. I had a day 24 help-out chick that survived.
    Has the chick fully absorbed its yolk yet? Blood in the egg indicates that the egg is deteriorating in the heat of the incubator.

3. PeppyLaRoo

PeppyLaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Picture sent. Thanks for trying to help.
    Mitch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by