Day 23! Dilemma.

Mcranton

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 17, 2014
I have one Silkie Egg on day 23. Candled and don't see internal pip but might see movement. Water test shows slight tremor or jiggle. Jiggles a bit when it hears me chirping. Humidity is good. Temps were maybe a bit low during the 21 days, but not serious. No external pips. Getting anxious. Read all info on assisting, but not sure if needed. Advice would be appreciated.

I'd put a tiny hole in the shell where the air sack is. Just be careful and you should be OK.
If the chick still has trouble I'd help him out.

I have one Silkie Egg on day 23. Candled and don't see internal pip but might see movement. Water test shows slight tremor or jiggle. Jiggles a bit when it hears me chirping. Humidity is good. Temps were maybe a bit low during the 21 days, but not serious. No external pips. Getting anxious. Read all info on assisting, but not sure if needed. Advice would be appreciated.
Personally, I wouldn't mess with an egg unless it has externally pipped and is struggling or internally pipped and has been chirping for 24 hours with no external pip, then I would tap into the air cell to make a pip hole. If you put an hole in the air cell before the chick has even internally pipped it will do nothing for that chick if it is in trouble, and you are just rushing for nothing in my opinion, where as if you know that the chick has internally pipped can hear it and it's been 24 hours, you can justify interfering knowing that needed air is limited. My first chick hatched day 24 I believe. It had started chirping at me from inside the shell the night before. I let him be and he externally pipped the next morning. By late that night he had hatched and a second had pipped. Listen to your instincts.

Back
Top Bottom