1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 Float test

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyFarmLady, Jun 17, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    Today is day 23, 4/14 chicks have hatched. Float test shows 10 more viable eggs but I don't hear any cheeping in the bator? Time to give up??

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Can the eggs be candles for movement? I'm not a big fan of float testing but I usually give dark eggs I couldn't candle 4-5 extra days.

3. HappyFarmLady

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    2 are EE, the rest are Marans.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    LOL no candling for them [​IMG] I would give them a another day or even two. The ones that hatched, where they all one breed or a mix? Maybe the marans are being slower?

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Ok noob here, but what is a float test and how do I do it!? I can't candle mine either and it is driving me nuts I need to know if my hatch is going well!!!
    Hope you don't mind a pic of my eggs
    [​IMG]

6. HappyFarmLady

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    You can read how to do a float test in the stickys. However, I don't think they recommend it until the eggs are past due. By the way, it was not 100% accurate for me. Just by guessing and how they felt when I picked them up I cracked open 2 that felt "loose" inside. They were just yoke. Nothing had developed.

7. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I found the sticky but putting my lil ones in water made me too nervous... So I put them carefully one at a time on a flat surface and watched it real close. 8 out of 10 wiggled1!!! 2 of them are only a couple days old and one may be a fart egg....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by