Day 23 in incubator, not moving for a few days! Now it's day 26!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tabatha_westcott, Feb 28, 2009.

1. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I have one of those little flying saucer incubators with 4 eggs in it. Only one developed. It's now day 23 and I haven't seen it move for a few days. (Candled) Is it just out of room or is it dead? I hear too many people say they opened an egg thinking it was dead, only to find it alive.... How can I tell? How much longer should I wait? What would cause it to die in the egg after developing so well? He's the only little guy to make it this far... I really want him to make it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    best of luck. i think you should sit on your hands and wait a little longer;)

3. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    Do they move less around hatch day?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well you can peep near the eggs and see if they peep back. I would think they move less cause they fill up the whole egg more or less.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know anything about chicks but my son shure moved less right befor I had him , no room.
    That being said though , what do you mean by flying saucer ones?

6. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    The little table top incubators you get for like 20 bucks. They hold about 3-4 eggs. I think they're for classrooms

7. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Im not sure but I think they mean wafer thermostat. IDK

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Oh one of those yeah I almost bougt one of those my self seemed like such a good idea ... Till I coudnt find anyone any where that had been able to get anything to hatch from one , I guess its hard for them to hold temps right and humidty, How do you moniter humidity and temp in youres?
    Though some people have hatched things on desks and with lamps so I guess theres is always a chance, did you get any progress with any of the eggs?

9. tabatha_westcott

Jan 18, 2009
    One made it. He was moving around until about 2 days ago

10. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    good for you, now it is time for you to buy a larger incubator and get down to some serious hatching, those flying saucers are child's play, like yeah whatever!? totally kids stuff! don't think about it, GET A BIGGER ONE! YAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by