Day 23. It's been over 24 hours since peeping. Nothing.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Betsysbabyservices, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    No peeping, no pipping. are we outside the range of normal?[​IMG]

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If the peeping stopped 24 hours ago, there's a good chance it's dead. I've had that happen. I'm sorry.

3. toddreed

toddreed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I'm not totally clear on weather you mean they have peeped or not. In general, day 23 is 2 days late and that is really pushing it. If there's been no peeping at this point, you probably have a bad batch.

If you have had peeping and it's been 24 hrs. then I'd say it's definitely time for intervention. I just hatched a clutch three days ago and I had to help one of them out after no progress 12 hrs from first peep. She is a little runty, but doing pretty well. I'm pretty sure if i hadn't helped her she wouldn't have made it on her own.

You might want to check out some u-tube vids on the subject. Google "helping chicks out of shell" and some should come up. Basically you want to use tweezers to very very gently break the shell, starting at the first peep hole and making a line that circumvents the egg, so that the shell opens up entirely. You can only do this if the white skin behind the shell is dry and contains no blood or visible veins. If it is very wet or there is blood then it is too early and needs to keep incubating. You also need to see if there is anything left of the yolk which is attached to the chick with a tiny umbilical chord. I'm no expert i've only done this once.

Hope that helps.

4. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    it is now day 24 and I'm not sure I can handle opening three dead eggs :(
    on day 22, we heard chirping from the incubator.
    Since then, nothing has happened, nada zip zilch. No pip holes at all.
    Today we are planning to candle the eggs, although they are green and very difficult to see anything.
    are you suggesting if we peel back a bit of shell and if it is dry and no veins, keep going?

5. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    they made noise. Then they stopped. nothing has happened since then.

6. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    100% mortality at various stages of development. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by