Day 23 & no chicks :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ite77, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ite77

ite77 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Spanaway WA
    I have a very broody hen sitting on 14 eggs for 22 days now. She is from a flock of 4 hens & 1 rooster. I separated the rest of the flock from her in the very beginning. Although it's been 22 days, still no peeping or movement in the eggs. She still does leave the nest a couple times a day but always goes right back to sitting. Today she left the nest for almost an hour. How much longer should I wait before assuming my eggs won't hatch?

2. 10AcreChick

10AcreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    Central Missouri
    The first question is, are you sure they were fertile in the first place? Did you do any candling?

My first broody just hatched eggs. There were a dozen to start with. I made the mistake of agonizing over a chick that died while hatching and thought she had smushed it, so I took her eggs away and put them in the incubator. Huge mistake! I don't recommend moving her eggs at all! She only ended up hatching two, both of which didn't hatch until days 24 and 25 (I had given up and put them back under her). I wish I had just left them. And she is a great mother, very protective.

So day 23 is not too late. My two are doing good at two weeks old!

1 person likes this.
  3. ite77

ite77 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Spanaway WA
    Thank you for your reply!
    Yes, I am pretty sure they are fertile, my rooster only has 4 chickens and won't give them any rest lol.

I just think it's odd that she leaves the nest for so long, and then goes back on it doing her "trance" thing like all is good..
    I'll give it a few more days :)

4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    I give you the best of luck and I hope you solve your dilemma and that your chick's are healthy. All the best of luck!
    Justin [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ite77

ite77 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Spanaway WA
    Thank you!! The end of day 25, I counted 3 so far but she won't let me look lol. So so super excited!!!! Thank you for telling me to wait :D[​IMG]

6. 10AcreChick

10AcreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    Central Missouri
    Congratulations! Make sure wherever you are keeping mama and chicks is nice and secure. I made the mistake of not checking the outdoor cage that is connected to the indoor coop brooder and lost both of my chicks the other day. They got out through a gap that happened because of washed away soil and mama couldn't follow them to protect them from the cats. [​IMG]Very sad for all.

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Congratulations on your hatch so far. Mine were on day 23 yesterday. I did a float test and got no movement, so I kicked the broody off the nest and went back later to do an eggtopsy. The first one I cracked open was fully developed and I was horrified to find it alive. Unfortunately the yolk had not been absorbed and I had to cull it. I can't tell you how shockingly bad I feel. I put the broody back on the nest and 3 have hatched so far although she doesn't seem to be a good mother. She is pecking at the chicks and had thrown one out of the nest. I popped it back in at the back and she seemed to settle but if any of them pop out at the front, she starts pecking. My feeling is that she just really likes sitting on eggs but isn't keen to be a mother. Having said that, she is OK with the other broody's chicks, that are a week old and are in the same maternity unit. She will tolerate them hopping into her nest to avoid my attentions when I go to handle them!.

Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by