day 23 - no pips/cracks/peeping..nada nothing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Aug 17, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my broodys clutch of eggs seems to be doomed. she started with 14 but over the past three weeks managed to break 5 (the last two she broke 4 days ago, with well developed babies inside [​IMG](()

now yesterday/day before i expected to hear at least a bit of noise from the eggs, or see a few cracks..but so far nothing [​IMG]

how long should i wait before taking the eggs away from her? surely there should have been something happening by now?? or wil she just eventually abandon them?

2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:I would wait a few more days Ii was just reading another post where a bycer thought it was done so she piped open the egg and it had a viable peep in it ! so I wouldn't if they were mine

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i guess im just impatient (and that little bit worried [​IMG])
    its just these eggs have been through the worst of luck, the first few eggs got crushed early on, so all the others got caked in egg gunk/woodshavings/straw...took a while to pick the big chunks of muck off!) the mums been really clumsy this time, she kept moving the eggs to different parts of the coop (guessing thats how they got broke)she is an egg stealer so pinches everyone else eggs for her clutch, she even pinched two duck eggs(!) (but i dont think these are fertile as the drake wasnt in with the ducks at the time of laying)

fingers crossed for the remaining few!

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    so maybe that is why they are taking they time hatching due to being moved so much ?!?!
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by