1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 no pips...give up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have silkie eggs in the bator. Had 15, one hatched quickly at day 20 and died less than a day later. One pipped but after 36 hrs died..should have intervened sooner because she was making noises yesterday, but not much. The other 13, no pips or noises at all! Should I call it quits and give up? Actually tonight will be day 23. Not sure what to do?! Should I help them and open the eggs up now in case there are some that might be alive?

2. grizz78

grizz78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    I would wait it out. I just went to day 23 and got 7 of 12 to hatch. I was ready to throw in the towel as well.

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I also forgot to add that I had to open the bator for the 1st one that hatched because of her foot caught in the wire bottom so that might have messed with the temp & humudity? That was on day 20. I also opened it this morning to snatch up the little egg that had pipped 36 hrs ago to help it. Don't know why but my temps and humidity went whacky after day 18 when I removed the turner. Its been very hard to keep steady. It mostly stayed within a degree but a few times dropped to 98* and up to 102 (a little over 102) I tried so hard to keep it at 101*. Humidity is a pain to keep up in my LG, still air. Im sure that messed things up too?

4. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wait. You might get lucky.

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Has anybody had to wait this long for silkies to hatch before? I heard that they usually come early? as early as day 19. Never did I think they would take this long to come....especially with no noise or pip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by