Day 23, no Pips no Movement but I got PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Widderpincess12, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Widderpincess12

Widderpincess12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    My chicks were due Sunday, I still have nothing, When I candled at day 18 there was movement in 8 of my 9. I was so excited. now there is nothing....No pips no movement I did the water test lastnight and nothing, I candled this AM and these are pics of just 2 of the eggs, but I saw no movement and no internal pips either.....are my babies dead??? how much longer do I wait????

thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    First [​IMG]. I am going to tell you what I THINK. That does not mean that I am right. Too me, it looks as though your air cells are quite small for hatchtime. (It's possible it's the pic or angle, but they really look small to me. Pic # 3 actually looks as though he might have tried to internally pip, but didn't make it to the air cell.

[​IMG]
    Compared to the chart I'm seeing more like day 14 progress of the air cell, especially the first two pictures. This is my opinion. I'd like to get some other's opinions as well and make sure I'm not way off base. Unless the air cell is depleting because of the egg no longer being viable, I would venture a guess to say maybe the humidity was a bit high.

How long you leave them in is up to you. My first ever chick hatched at day 24, so it's not impossible. I've heard stories as late as 25/26, but have no idea of teh long term outcome of the chicks. If you want to give it another day or two, it's understandable. I can tell you what I would do. (I'm not saying you should, just that this would be my next step.
    The egg that I said looked like it tried to make an internal pip- I would take that egg, mark the air cell (I mark air cells at days 7/14/18) and place an x where it looks like the end of the beak is. I would then score a small hole into the air cell right above that x. Check for movement. Stick my pinky in to feel the membrane. If he's still viable you are going to know it. My bet is that you are going to find a lot of excess moisture and no viable chick. However, this is one of those times that I would LOVE to be proven wrong!!!

Whatever the case, keep us posted and I hope others will chime in with their thoughts.

3. Widderpincess12

Feb 22, 2015

Thank you very much, my humidity was at 50% and my temp was at 99.5 except for a few days it dropped or spiked....im so sad...the membrane is the sack that the chick would be in correct?
    im going to assume they are all probably dead...and how do you know if they smell weird?? Ive had nothing but issues with this bator too...sometimes it was so high sometimes to low and just annoying! Ill probably open up this one egg and see ( as you mentioned above how to do it) if this one is dead do you assume all probably would be???

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I highly suggest trying a dry incubation. 50% in my opinion is a bit high. The way to really tell is to monitor the air cells. I'm guessing probably they are gone, but I always tap into the air cell first and chack for movement before opening for the eggtopsy. That way I am more sure they are gone before I open.

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    What kind of incubator? Styrofoam? Still air or forced? I'm not going to be shocked if you say Little Giant...
    Dry hatching works miracles for some people, not for others. Doesn't work for me. Dropping temps can be overcome if they aren't down for too long, but spiking temperatures can kill them quickly, especially over 102. My guess from your pictures was too low temperature or too high humidity. 50% isn't outrageous, but a little high. My magic number is 40-42%, but I'm hatching in a Brinsea. If it is a still air, 99.5 is low. Everything I have read says that still air is supposed to be at 101 or so. If you are working with a styrobator, AmyLynn can help you. She's a lot better with those than I ever was

6. Widderpincess12

Feb 22, 2015
    its a little giant :( forced air fan..... Styrofoam...I had my temp at 99.5 sometimes it would drop or rise and I was going insane!!! humidity was always 50-55% until lockdown which I did it at 60-65% but than would drop to 50% and I had 3 sponges in that thing!!! lol

7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Horrible, horrible reviews on that incubator. Almost all had your exact same experience. Search it on this site. It's no consolation for your loss, but many people, including myself, had similar experiences. That's why I lost my mind and bought a Brinsea

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's what I have. Mines an older model though, not the new digital stuff. I would start out with no water in the bator, and if it holds at least 25% I would run dry and monitor the air cells. I would stay dry unless it was below 25% then add just a little water to hold it around 30% unless the air cells started getting too large. Then up it at lockdown. I like mine 70-75% at lockdown because I'm a meddler. [​IMG]

9. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I use a little giant and it drove me crazy at first with temp. fluctuations. I found that the temp. in the room were you have your incubator is critical. If the temp. fluctuates in the room it will in the incubator also. I use a space heater to keep the room temps as even as possible.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The styro bators are very touchy with the room temp. Also windows and room lights, which a lot of people don't think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by